About the Role
The Development and Outreach Department of Human Rights Watch (HRW) is seeking highly-qualified applicants for the position of Associate Director to develop relationships with donors and prospects and represent the work of Human Rights Watch within Australia. This is a fixed-term, full-time position for one year with an anticipated start in January 2019. The position is based in the Sydney office and reports to the Director of Australia based in Sydney and the Managing Director of Development and Outreach based in Toronto.
- Build financial support by supporting the Australia Director in soliciting major gifts and general support funds;
- Research, identify, cultivate, and service new prospects, existing donors, and Australia Committee members;
- Represent the work of HRW to existing and prospective supporters;
- Manage and oversee fundraising, outreach, and cultivation events in Australia including HRW’s annual Voices for Justice dinners in Sydney and Melbourne, film festival events, privately hosted dinners and receptions, and other events;
- Oversee event logistics including tracking and maintaining agreed budgets, branding elements, materials, and follow-up;
- Manage all aspects of the Australia Committee including committee meetings, executive meetings, sub-committee meetings, and communications;
- Identify new outreach opportunities in Australia and form relationships with partner organizations;
- Oversee gift processing and donor support services for Australia, including but not limited to: mailings, gift tracking and acknowledgments, using HRW’s Raiser’s Edge and local databases for both HRW and the Australian Foundation in support of HRW, and ensuring all gifts are compliant with Australian tax law;
- Supervise one part-time manager in Melbourne and support staff in Sydney office;
- Deliver outputs in a timely manner and be consistent with the agreed strategy and priorities of the Development Department;
- Monitor progress against milestones and deadlines of all outputs that are within the purview of responsibility;
- Ensure organization-wide coordination and complementarity as well as maintain good working relationships with external partners; and
- Perform other responsibilities as may be required.
Education: A bachelor’s degree in international relations, social sciences, corporate communications, or related studies is required. An advanced degree in human rights, corporate communications, or philanthropy is desirable.
Experience: A minimum of five years of fundraising experience and demonstrated success in overseeing large fundraising events are required.
Related Skills and Knowledge:
- Proven success in creating and managing major gifts programs and ability to manage high-level donor relationships are required.
- Creativity, initiative, follow-through and ability to work under pressure are required.
- Excellent multi-tasking, planning and organizational skills are required.
- Strong interpersonal skills in order to work collaboratively within HRW as well as with external partners are required.
- Ability to effectively manage and engage a variety of volunteers, committee members, and board members is required.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in English are required.
- Demonstrated commitment to human rights and/or international issues is essential.
- An entrepreneurial and disciplined self-starter who can work independently, but also function as a member of a development team, is highly desirable.
- Familiarity with fundraising in Australia is strongly preferred.
Duration: Fixed-term employment for a one-year period.
Salary and Benefits: HRW seeks exceptional applicants and offers competitive compensation and employer-paid benefits.
About the Organisation
Human Rights Watch is an international human rights monitoring and advocacy organization known for its in-depth investigations, its incisive and timely reporting, its innovative and high-profile advocacy campaigns, and its success in changing the human rights-related policies and practices of influential governments and international institutions.
Apply for this Job
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR Development and Outreach via Pro Bono Australia.