About the Role
The Senior Policy Analyst will be one of several roles that is responsible for the development of well constructed analytic policy reports and papers for use by the organisation to obtain optimal exposure for key issues associated with youth mental health and the need for early intervention. The role will also need to work with a wide range of key stakeholders (both internal and external to the organisation) to develop youth mental health policy papers, prepare documents and reports on the analysis of key youth mental health issues and policies and provide authoritative policy advice to senior staff and government on issues related to youth health, well-being and mental health in Victoria, nationally and on occasion internationally. About you Essential Qualifications:
- Possession of an appropriate and recognised tertiary qualification(s) in Political Sciences, Public Policy, Social Sciences, Law or a related discipline.
- Understands policy analysis and development including how government policies are developed and enacted, and funding delivered across sectors
- Identifies key messages and information to formulate policy options and recommendations for government decision makers and service designers and planners.
- A demonstrable capacity to think analytically, including the interpretation and analysis of qualitative and quantitative resesrach and datasets to ensure policy options and recommendations are evidence based.
- Prepares well written and complex policy reports, briefs, submissions and correspondence.
- Edits written communication to ensure it contains the information necessary to achieve its purpose and meets audience needs.
- Ensures appropriate style and formats are used.
- A high level of understanding of the role collaboration, consultation and partnership plays in developing effective and evidence based policy.
- Plans, documents and implements strategies to identify, engage and maintain relationships with key stakeholders in the development of policy advice.
- Works in partnership with key internal stakeholders relevant to particular policy projects, in particular the research, translational, clinical service and youth engagement areas of the organisation
Initiative and accountability
- Takes responsibility for actions and proactively addresses issues as they emerge
- Identifies risks to delivering key work on time or as planned, and discusses options to manage these risks with direct supervisor.
- Works as part of a team, as well as autonomously to provide leadership in your particular portfolio.
- Produces detailed project plans where objectives are clearly defined, action steps for achieving them are clearly specified and managing the risk of delays is explicit and incorporated into overall timing.
- Excellent time management and work planning capacities are essential.
- An understanding of the present issues and policies associated with mental health and youth health.
- Post Graduate qualification in public policy or a related area.
- Previous experience in working in a senior role as a policy strategist or analyst.
- Experience working in mental health.
About the Organisation
(Full-time fixed term contract available for 12 months)
An exciting opportunity exists for an experienced senior policy professional to join Orygen’s Policy Think Tank. This team is responsible for the production of a broad range of high quality, evidence-based policy outputs to inform governments and other key decision makers in youth mental health policy and service provision. With the upcoming Australian Government Productivity Commission into Mental Health Services and the Victorian Government’s royal commission into mental health this position has the opportunity to play a key role in influencing meaningful and substantial mental health reforms for young people. After 25 years of innovation, Orygen is preparing to move into a new building that will strengthen its international role as the leader in youth mental health research, clinical practice, policy development and translation.
Orygen, The National Centre of Excellence in Youth Mental Health is the world’s leading research and knowledge translation organisation focusing on mental ill-health in young people. At Orygen, our leadership and staff work to deliver cutting-edge research, policy development, innovative clinical services, and evidence-based training and education to ensure that there is continuous improvement in the treatments and care provided to young people experiencing mental ill-health. Our work has created a new, more positive approach to the prevention and treatment of mental disorders, and has developed new models of care for young people with emerging disorders. This work has been translated into a worldwide shift in services and treatments to include a primary focus on getting well and staying well, and health care models that include partnership with young people and families. So if you’re looking for an opportunity to join a dynamic, vibrant and forward thinking organisation which has become a thought leader in the field of youth mental health, we look forward to hearing from you.
Apply for this Job
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Senior Policy Analyst via Pro Bono Australia.