About the role
About Asia Pacific Forum
The Asia Pacific Forum of National Human Rights Institutions (APF) is the leading human rights organisation in the region. Established in 1996, it is a coalition of 25 national human rights institutions across the Pacific, Southeast, South, North, Central and West Asia. The APF provides practical support and advice to its member institutions to help them to be as effective as possible.
The APF support national human rights institutions in the region so they can be powerful advocates. They provide advice, training and resources to help members defend rights and promote change and they partner with others to help build fair, just and inclusive communities.
You will provide legal policy research and advice regarding the promotion, establishment and strengthening of national human rights institutions and to APF management on organisational matters. Additional responsibilities include:
- Supporting APF engagement with the Global Alliance of National Human Rights Institutions
- Providing support to members before, during and after the accreditation process
- Representing the APF in a range of forums, committees and seminars
- Contributing to the effective operation of the team and assisting the Director with projects
Skills and experience
You are legally qualified and have an excellent understanding of international human rights law and practice, ideally developed in the Asia Pacific region. You have contributed to the building of stronger human rights institutions and communities. You also have:
- Experience writing and providing high level policy advice with a NHRI, NGO, NFP or government agency
- High-level legal research and interpretation skills and a strong knowledge of human rights jurisprudence
- A credible understanding of the Paris Principles interpretation and applications
- Capacity to facilitate and coordinate the input and cooperation of multiple stakeholders
- An ability to provide strategic briefing and recommendations to senior management
- A strong commitment to equality and non-discrimination
If building stronger national human rights institutions and promoting fair and inclusive communities is of interest to you please click apply to submit a cover letter, addressing the skills required, and resume in MS Word format quoting reference 55303. For an initial discussion please contact Richard Green, Amelia Da Mota or Annie Barker in Sydney on +61 (0)2 8243 0570.
About the organisation
How to apply for this role
Please quote in application: Legal & Policy Manager via Pro Bono Australia.