About the Role
Are you an accomplished partnerships and community engagement specialist looking for your next career challenge? Do you pride yourself on your strong relationship building skills? Are you driven by challenge and the desire to exceed targets? Do you enjoy creating connections and pursuing new opportunities? Does the idea of working for a leading medical research institute focussed on the discovery of breakthroughs to prevent, treat and cure some of the most serious disease states excite you? Are you keen to make a difference? If so, you could be just the person we’re looking for.
An opportunity exists for a highly organised and energetic Philanthropy Relationship Manager, Strategic Partnerships and Community Engagement to join the newly established Westmead Institute for Medical Research (WIMR) Foundation, forming an integral member of a small start-up Development team.
Reporting to the CEO Westmead Institute for Medical Research Foundation, you will work collaboratively to develop and manage the Strategic Partnerships and Community Engagement revenue stream, an essential element of the Development strategy. You will build strong and enduring relationships with key stakeholder groups, with a focus on corporate partners and members of the community with a strong connection to the cause and a desire to support through active alignment and fundraising activity.
You will apply your well-developed relationship management skills to identify, evaluate and pursue corporate and community fundraising prospects. You will relish the challenge of building relationships from the ground up, working closely with the CEO to implement a targeted corporate and community engagement strategy.
You will have the capacity to independently research key prospects, to engage and identify donors’ critical priorities, to represent the Westmead Institute for Medical Research effectively, informing the existing and potential donor base of the Institute’s scope of service and opportunities for involvement and financial support. Importantly, you will steward donors effectively, ensuring their long-term commitment to supporting the Institute’s work.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- In conjunction with the CEO, develop strong relationships with corporates and community fundraisers who have an interest in medical research and the operations of WIMR.
- Conduct rigorous prospect research and identify priorities and opportunities.
- Under the guidance of the CEO, lead the development of corporate pitch processes, developing compelling presentations and communications materials.
- Manage the Strategic Partnerships and Community Engagement pipeline and budget, providing regular monthly reporting to the CEO.
Key skills and experience required:
- Proven experience in successfully developing and managing a portfolio of donors or clients in a competitive industry environment.
- Proven ability to research, prospect and develop a donor or customer base.
- Proven ability to generate income by establishing successful long-term relationships.
- Confidence and ability to engage with donors confidently, and ‘make the ask’ of potential donors for funding.
- An ability to relate sensitively to a diverse range of people and to conduct face to face meetings with a diverse range of donors with different backgrounds and personalities.
- Exceptional communications skills and the ability to write and articulate compelling and persuasive cases for support.
- Attention to detail and a focus on profitability.
Qualifications and experience required:
- At least 10 years of experience within a busy, corporate environment. You are able to demonstrate success in delivering solid outcomes against tight timeframes/under pressure.
Attitude and Mindset:
- Enthusiasm, energy and passion are key to achieving success in this role.
- Effective communication skills and the ability to engage different stakeholder groups.
- Ability to engage with a range of corporate partners stretching across different industry sectors.
- An interest in news and current affair and the ability to identify and create opportunities for strategic alignment.
- Confidence in presenting and coordinating various stakeholder groups including senior management, internal and external to the Westmead Institute for Medical Research.
This is a fabulous opportunity to work with a lean, nimble Development team as part of a start-up Foundation, generating funding for one of Australia’s leading medical research institutes.
About the Organisation
The Westmead Institute for Medical Research is one of Australia’s leading medical research institutes, with over 600 staff and students stretching across 11 research centres. Key areas of research include infectious and immune diseases, cancer and leukemia, liver and metabolic diseases, eye and brain related disorders and heart and respiratory disorders. The Institute is truly multi-disciplinary
Closely affiliated with the University of Sydney and Westmead Hospital, the Institute’s research is truly translational in nature, with many of the researchers also actively practicing clinicians. This “bench to bedside” approach means that there is more immediate application of research discoveries into prevention strategies, diagnostics and patient treatments.
Apply for this Job
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Relationship Manager, Strategic Partnerships/Community Engagement via Pro Bono Australia.