About the role
- Oversee financial planning, budgeting, cash flow, investment priorities, and financial policy matters.
- Maintain and implement an appropriate system of policies, internal controls, accounting standards, and procedures.
- Develop and maintain sound financial practices that comply with relevant laws and regulations.
- Plan, coordinate, and execute the annual budgeting process.
- Oversee the Information Technology team.
- Analyse the current technology infrastructure and scope out the next level of information technology and financial systems that support the growth of specific programmes and the organisation overall.
- Oversee the human resources team.
- Upgrade human resources functions including training, development, compensation and benefits, employee relations, performance evaluation and staff.
- Serve as the management liaison to the board of directors and keep the board updated on high-level matters related to finance and internal operations.
- Contribute to the development of Animals Asia’s strategic goals and objectives as well as to the overall leadership and management of the organisation.
- Coordinate the development of the Strategic Plan and ensure that Animals Asia is adhering to this plan, delivering regular status reports to the board.
- Maintain continuous lines of communication with other members of the Leadership Team and keep the CEO informed of all important issues.
- Oversee head office administration and day-to-day operations.
- Represent the organisation externally, as necessary.
- Promote a collegial work environment that respects and values diversity.
- Promote an organisational culture that fosters passion for the mission, cooperation, open communication, teamwork, learning and a commitment to quality.
- Ensure staff members receive timely and appropriate training and development.
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach: assign accountabilities; set objectives; establish priorities; and monitor and evaluate results.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in Non-profit Management, Public Administration, Business Administration or related field. Applicants with a Master’s level degree are preferred.
- Experience: 10 years of progressively responsible management experience which include supervision of finance, accounting, information technology and human resource functions.
- Minimum of 2 years living, working or consulting in Asia.
- Extensive knowledge of Asian cultural and political climate, particularly in China and Vietnam.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills in English, both verbal and written, with the ability to communicate with internal and external stakeholders from varied cultural backgrounds.
- Fluency in Mandarin and Cantonese is advantageous.
- Proficiency with computers and skill in the use of a range of software applications.
About the organisation
The COO is the second in command of the Animals Asia Foundation and reports directly to the CEO. S/he is responsible for managing the following functions: finance, administration, human resources and information technology. This position is a member of the Leadership Team, which manages the entire organisation. This position is based in the Foundation’s head office in Hong Kong.
The successful candidate will have a thorough understanding of finance, information systems, and HR; broad experience with the full range of business functions and systems, including strategic development and planning, team management, budgeting, analysis, finance, information technology, and human resources.
The successful candidate will demonstrate evidence of the ability to consistently make good decisions through a combination of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment; the ability to think and plan strategically on highly complex issues; the ability to balance the delivery of programmes against the realities of a budget. S/he also will demonstrate excellent skills in problem solving, project management, and coordination of the work of multiple divisions towards a shared mission and goals.
This is an outstanding opportunity for a highly motivated and experienced individual to assume a pivotal role in a growing organisation that is making a difference for animals in Hong Kong, China, Vietnam and other parts of Asia.
The successful candidate will have a degree in Non-profit Management, Public Administration, Business Administration or related field and 10 years of progressively responsible management experience. Some experience in a mission driven, non-profit organisation is preferred.
For the successful candidate, the Animals Asia Foundation is prepared to offer an attractive compensation package, including a competitive salary as well as health and vacation benefits.
How to apply for this role
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Chief Operating Officer, COO via Pro Bono Australia.