About the role
This is a unique opportunity to help reshape the way Australians engage in international aid and development. Action on Poverty has been transforming lives for over 50 years, and now we have hired a new CEO, renewed our strategy, and are preparing to transform the way international aid and development is supported from Australia.
We are looking for a CFO to join us on this journey and help us develop and deliver the business model around our new approach. This is an exciting opportunity for someone who wants to build value for purpose, who is excited about learning and change, and wants to use their proven financial leadership skills to create lasting impact on global issues. You will need to be strategic, yet comfortable with managing routine financial control requirements.
Reporting to the CEO, the CFO is accountable for all administrative, financial, and risk management operations. In this role you will develop and oversee financial strategy; the design and management of the organisation’s financial models; the financial metrics related to strategy; and the ongoing development, management, and monitoring of control systems designed to grow the organisation’s assets and report accurate financial results.
- Assist in formulating the organisation’s future direction and support tactical initiatives
- Monitor and direct the implementation of a strategic business plan
- Develop models, systems, and processes that maximise the financial performance of all revenue streams
- Develop financial performance measures and monitoring systems that support the organisation’s strategic direction
- Participate in key decisions as a member of the executive management team
- Manage the accounting, human resources, legal, tax, and treasury functions of the organisation
- Oversee the financial operations of international entities, including establishment of new international entities
- Oversee and evaluate the financial systems and reporting processes from funded partners internationally
- Oversee the financial training and systems development of funded partners internationally
- Oversee negotiation and formulation of client contracts
- Supervise acquisition due diligence and negotiate acquisitions
- Ensure cash flow is appropriate for operations
- Report financial results to the Board of Directors
- Understand and mitigate key elements of the organisation’s risk profile
- Construct and monitor reliable control systems
- Ensure that the organisation complies with all legal, regulatory, contract, and grant requirements
- Represent the organisation in appropriate forums
The Chief Financial Officer should have:
- postgraduate qualifications in accounting or business administration, or equivalent business experience;
- a thorough knowledge of accounting principles and procedures, financial modelling, experience in creating financial statements tailored to the specific requirements of the organisation, and experience with general ledger and routine accounting processes;
- experience working as part of an executive team; and
- a high level of written and oral communication skill.
Preference will be given to candidates with an MBA in Finance and who are CA/CPA qualified. Experience in the international development sector is an advantage.
About the organisation
Established in 1968, Action on Poverty (formerly the Australian Foundation for the Peoples of Asia and the Pacific (AFAP)) is an independent, secular, not-for-profit, fully accredited Australian non-government organisation working with partners around the world to take action on poverty in developing countries.
We are passionate about maximising the impact of philanthropy in improving lives around the world. We enable a more open and engaged form of international development by connecting people with purpose to initiatives that work. We aim to simplify engagement with international issues and enable people everywhere to take action on poverty.
How to apply for this role
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Chief Financial Officer via Pro Bono Australia.