About the role
Who is the Human Rights Team
GetUp’s Human Rights Team addresses the critical political and and social justice issues of the day. As Racial Justice campaigner, you’ll help drive GetUp’s Colour Code project, which brings together migrant, multicultural and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities to speak about, advocate for, and organise around issues of racial justice. Learn more: colourcode.org.au
You’ll also work with the broader team on GetUp campaigns relating to the rights of people seeking asylum and racial justice, as well as reactive campaigns relating to women’s rights, LGBTIQ+ rights and more. Passion for these issues and the difference they make in people’s lives is crucial.
The Human Rights Racial Justice Campaigner will:
- Draft high quality campaign content, including project plans and timelines, emails to members, social media posts, talking points and press statements
- Work in the website’s technical back end to get campaigns out the door to our members, while tracking and analysing campaign data
- Draft social media posts (including memes and videos) on Facebook and Twitter for our campaigns
- Review and respond to member correspondence on our campaigns
- Stay on top of the latest news and developments on our campaigns and suggest responses, while also staying tuned into the popular zeitgeist
- Conduct campaign research and planning
- Participate in brainstorms where we think of outside the box tactics and strategies
- Supervising other staff and/or volunteers as required
You will be someone who:
- Is passionate about creating social change outcomes on progressive issues, specifically people seeking asylum, Aboriginal and Torres-Strait Islander issues and Racial Justice;
- Has experience working with affected communities and staff, including lived experiences of those communities and intersections;
- Has strong digital skills and a willingness to learn new technologies, and who thrives in a fast-paced startup environment;
- Has demonstrated communication skills, who is adept at thinking through complex politics and communicating them simply and clearly;
- Capable of working autonomously on a range of varied tasks and projects, and takes the initiative doing whatever it takes to get the job done;
- Is a team player who is always bringing off-the-wall, creative ideas to the table; and
- Has at least two years experience in the workforce.
Bonus points for:
- Experience in GetUp-style digital campaigning;
- Experience in crowd-funded fundraising; and
- Experience working in the media cycle.
If even a couple of these criteria speak to you, you could be the perfect person for the job. Formal education, qualifications and extensive experience matter less to us than excellence, initiative and drive.
Please apply by 9am on 26 June 2019.
About the organisation
Who is GetUp
The GetUp movement is powered by the values and hopes of one million members, movement partners and a central team of expert strategists. Together, we do whatever it takes to make extraordinary impact.
We focus our campaigns on the areas our members care about most in the fields of Environmental Justice, Human Rights, Economic Fairness and Democratic Integrity. From making sure hundreds of thousands of people are able to vote in elections, to successfully stopping major projects threatening the Great Barrier Reef, securing billions of dollars in new funding for mental health or supporting the passage of the Medivac Bill – we have a decade-long history of taking on powerful interests, and winning.
How to apply for this role
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Human Rights Racial Justice Campaigner via Pro Bono Australia.