About the role
Your Role in our Future
This is a senior research position in a large Australian charity that is in a start-up growth phase. You will drive a disruptive strategy to funding research and work to improve treatments and survival rates for people with brain cancer. You will have the opportunity to make your mark in the brain cancer research sphere worldwide. Applications from candidates seeking either full-time or part time (3-4 days per week) employment will be considered, with reference to your skills, experience & attributes.
Reporting to our Chief Executive Officer, your key responsibilities will be to:
- Execute our research strategy using a thesis-driven approach to decide how and what to fund;
- Build and manage our research programs and collaborations including a databank and Charlie Teo Foundation Brain Tumour Bank;
- Work with our Scientific Advisory Committee to seek out potential projects and scientists for funding that fit within our research strategy;
- Manage program expenditure in line with budget and policies;
- Develop and review research policies to ensure the effective, ethical and efficient funding of brain cancer research;
- Oversee the progress of funded research and effectively communicate updates about our research activities to our donors and supporters including being open about successes and failures; and
- Supervise a loyal and dedicated team of volunteers to help support our research activities.
Skills, Experience & Attributes
We are looking for someone with:
- Tertiary qualification in research management, health, science or a related discipline;
- Extensive experience working in research funding including structuring and project managing research collaborations and knowledge of the relevant legal and ethics frameworks;
- Knowledge of the current landscape of brain cancer research world-wide is strongly desirable;
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships with researchers, research institutions, donors and other stakeholders;
- A willingness to think differently in the approach to research funding and operations;
- Compassion, loyalty and enthusiasm for the cause and the desire to bring hope to people affected by brain cancer; and
- Excellent communication skills, takes initiative, collaborative approach to sharing of information and ideas and a genuine team player who works well with a diverse range of people.
Culture & Benefits
CTF embraces a positive, inclusive and supportive workplace culture. CTF is working towards disrupting the charity space and is building a talented team of the best people in their fields to enable us to achieve our purpose. On offer is an attractive package together with the benefits of not-for-profit salary packaging. You will have the opportunity to make a genuine difference to the lives of people affected by brain cancer and be embraced as part of Charlie’s close network.
About the organisation
About the Charlie Teo Foundation
Charlie Teo Foundation is an Australian charity founded in October 2017 by global neurosurgeon Charlie Teo to shake up the way brain cancer research is funded.
Brain cancer kills more children in Australia than any other disease and more young people under 40 than any other cancer, yet the survival rate has increased just 1% over the past 30 years.
We are working to change those numbers. Charlie Teo Foundation runs efficiently and effectively in funding and inspiring the most brilliant and disruptive thinkers undertaking brain cancer research.
How to apply for this role
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Head of Research - Charlie Teo Foundation via Pro Bono Australia.