About the role
- Join one of the world’s largest and most respected conservation organisations
- Premier 5 Star Green Office in Ultimo
- Flexible working and RDO
Working collaboratively as a member of Marketing team, this role leads the development, implementation and evaluation of WWF-Australia’s news media and public relations initiatives to reach, inspire and engage target audiences to achieve environmental conservation, marketing and fundraising goals. Working with the Senior Media Officer, this role develops WWF’s key messages and products for news outlets and oversees the public positioning of WWF towards government stakeholders. This role requires an ability to build and leverage relationships with news outlets in a fast-changing landscape, manage reactive and opportunistic media across a diverse range of issues including crisis management, and working with WWF’s content experts to develop rich offerings for news outlets.
Skills, knowledge and experience
- Demonstrated media relations management experience working in Australian news media acquired on the client side (private sector or NGOs) or PR agency side, preferably with experience covering or advocating social issues.
- Demonstrated experience developing, implementing, monitoring and evaluating news media and PR strategies and managing implementation across projects, partners and clients.
- Experience in issues and crisis management across all types of media.
- Excellent contemporary knowledge of news media platforms, channels and sectors e.g. consumer, specialist and business, and the ability to tailor media relations activity to suit each.
- An innovative approach to increasing brand visibility.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including an ability to translate scientific and technical content into engaging copy for multiple channels.
- A network of relationships with journalists, editors and opinion leaders.
- An ability to work collaboratively within a team-based environment.
- Media training and coaching experience
- Data analysis and reporting skills.
- Demonstrated ability in meeting deadlines and strong attention to detail.
Additionally, the successful candidate will be able to lead, train and coach internal stakeholders and collaborate with content experts. Experience covering or advocating for environmental conservation or similar issues will be considered favourably.
WWF values diversity and is building a workforce that reflects the community we serve. WWF is an equal opportunity employer and Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander peoples, people from culturally & linguistically diverse (CALD) backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
About the organisation
WWF's global vision is to stop the degradation of the planet's natural environment and to build a future in which humans live in harmony with nature. WWF-Australia is part of the WWF International Network, the world's leading, independent conservation organisation. We are active in over 100 countries and have close to 5 million supporters internationally. In Australia and throughout the oceanic region, we work with governments, businesses and communities so that people and nature can thrive within their fair share of the planet's natural resources.
WWF's mission is to halt the decline of threatened plants and animals and to support their recovery. We do this by addressing the threats that affect them using the best available science while working in partnership with communities, Indigenous groups, government and business. The world is changing fast. Our wildlife and wild places face unprecedented challenges. The result is people yearn more for nature and are connected with each other like never before. We know that we can achieve more by partnering, sharing, empowering communities, forming alliances and building a movement for the environment. Working together is the answer. It is our goal to bring about this unified voice for nature. See for yourself https://youtu.be/jE-1I5o217A
How to apply for this role
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Media Relations Manager via Pro Bono Australia.