About the role
We’re looking for an inspiring and experienced Volunteer and Network Development Coordinator to drive, facilitate and grow our volunteer network, working in conjunction with key conservation and research programs, and local voluntary groups.
This is an exciting and strategic role, focused on volunteer recruitment, engagement and relationship building. A part-time role (4 days per week) based in Melbourne at our office in Carlton, you’ll be working as part of a small and dedicated team.
- Play a key role in the growth and development of our volunteer network
- Shape our volunteer recruitment and engagement strategies
- Lead and facilitate our national volunteer network forum
- Facilitate Research / Conservation teams and key network groups to work together to drive impact and influence
- Act as the voice of network groups and the volunteer force within the organisation
- Lead, organise and facilitate annual Network Forum
Recruitment, Retention and Activation
- Determine and drive volunteer recruitment and engagement strategies
- Develop framework for a new volunteer referral service, ensuring effective on-boarding for BirdLife programs and network groups
- Research and build relationships with potential network groups in alignment with organisational strategy and procedures
- Identify and encourage opportunities to formally and informally recognise individual and collective volunteer contributions
- Member of Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) Committee
Communication and Engagement
- Develop communications plans to encourage participants to contribute more broadly and most effectively to organisational goals
- Promote the wider work and impact stories of the organisation to volunteer audiences
- Promote the value of volunteering for BirdLife Australia to external and internal audiences.
- Excellent communication and influencing skills including the ability to motivate and develop teamwork between staff and volunteers
- Excellent project management and facilitation skills
- Experience of working with and amongst communities of volunteers
- Ability to work with minimum supervision remaining outcome and priority focused
- Ability to analyse and solve problems with humour and flexibility
- Competence in numeracy and financial analytics
- Ability to liaise and negotiate with a diverse range of stakeholders
- Experience in managing stakeholder consultation, eliciting feedback and integrating into development
- Experience of preparing and presenting to groups
- Some experience working with Content Management Systems and html coding or willingness to learn
- Some experience of Raisers Edge (Supporter Relationship Management) and web/digital platforms
Workstyle, attributes, and attitudes
- A team player
- Adaptable and willing to embrace innovation and change
- Works positively, effectively and sensitively with a wide range of people
- Models BirdLife Australia’s values and behaviours
- Takes responsibility
- Works to deadlines
- Outcome oriented
- Reliable and responsive
- An open and transparent communicator
- Adaptable working style.
A full position description is available below.
The Volunteer and Network Development Coordinator position is available on a part-time basis of 4 days per week on a 3-year contract, with an annual salary starting from $58,692 (full-time equivalent circa $73,365) including 9.5% super.
About the organisation
BirdLife Australia is proud to be the nation’s largest bird conservation organisation. As an independent, not-for-profit organisation, we are dedicated to conserving Australia’s birds and their habitats through advocacy, targeted research, on-ground work and monitoring.
As a science-based, community led conservation organisation, with more than 145,000 supporters and volunteers, BirdLife Australia relies on a growing network of people who generously give their time, expertise, voice and financial support.
A significant part of BirdLife Australia’s work is done by volunteers acting either alone, in organised groups or serving on committees, often taking action alongside staff to ensure Australia’s birds and their habitat flourish. Development of our network of volunteers underpins our mission to stop extinctions.
How to apply for this role
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Volunteer and Network Development Coordinator via Pro Bono Australia.