About the role
The purpose of this position is to represent Kidsafe Victoria as a specialist point of contact in the safety of children travelling in child car restraints. The role will support and implement Kidsafe Victoria’s child car restraint education and advocacy initiatives to increase awareness of how to correctly choose, install and use child car restraints amongst the community to ensure that children are travelling as safely as possible on every trip.
This position reports to the CEO of Kidsafe Victoria.
Key working relationships
- Staff and contractors
- Child car restraint fitters, child car restraint manufacturers, government and other key external stakeholders
- External customers
This position will be filled as a 0.8 full time equivalent position with the potential to move to full time. The position will commence on an initial 12-month contract with a 3 month probation period and possibility of contract extension. Kidsafe is a family friendly organisation and has some flexibility in terms of the timing of these hours.
The position will be located at Kidsafe Victoria’s office at Monash Children’s Hospital in Clayton with some travel within Victoria required.
- Coordinate research to influence policy change
- Manage and develop relationships with key industry partners
- Respond to media opportunities promoting child car restraint messages
- Support network of subcontractors who are delivering child restraint fitting education sessions and training
- Administer RTO requirements as they relate to accredited training delivery
- Coordinate and deliver child restraint education sessions locally
- Coordinate and support child restraint inspection days with industry partners
- Develop and maintain educational resources and provide child car restraint content for use across key channels
- Respond to child restraint related inquiries from the public
- Coordinate, promote and develop support structures for the Find a Fitter Listing
- Input into any standards processes or relevant committees
- Identify and administer relevant grant opportunities related to child car restraint safety
Experience and skills
- Previous experience (minimum of 3 years) in a role working with child car restraints – e.g. as a fitter, sales representative, manufacturer or other
- Experience (minimum of 5 years) in a role liaising with and managing key stakeholders
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, enabling confident liaison with stakeholders at all levels
- Strong degree of proactivity, flexibility and adaptability in order to manage deadlines and conflicting priorities
- Demonstrated ability to seek and implement continuous process improvement opportunities
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Ability to work autonomously as well as part of a team
- A level of formal child restraint training
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Office suite
- Media or public speaking experience
We are not just looking for someone based on their skills and expertise. We need someone who is going to fit in with our small team and organisational culture. This means you also need to be:
- Someone who thinks ‘why not’ instead of ‘why’ and is able to think outside of the box to address a challenge
- A strong and creative communicator
- Friendly, approachable and have good relationship management skills
If you like the sound of us, then please apply. While we are reviewing applications, we encourage you to get to know us a bit more through our various social channels.
Appointment to this position is subject to:
- A satisfactory ‘Working with Children Check’ under the Working with Children Act 2005 (Vic)
- A satisfactory Police Check
- Proof of current whooping cough vaccination prior to commencement and willingness to have a flu vaccination each year
- Valid Australian driver’s licence and access to own vehicle
About the organisation
Mission: to Make a Safer World for Kids at home, on the road, around water and at play.
Who is Kidsafe Victoria? Kidsafe Victoria was established in 1979 as part of the Child Accident Prevention Foundation of Australia. We are an independent, non-profit, organisation dedicated to the prevention of unintentional death and injury to children through education, advocacy and research.
Why do we do it? Preventable injuries are the leading cause of death for Australian children aged 1-14 years and one of the leading causes of hospitalisation. Every week across the country, 3 children are killed from preventable injuries.
In Victoria, approximately 20 children aged 0-14 years die and over 100,000 are treated in hospital each year, with children under the age of 5 most at risk.
What do we do: Kidsafe exists to prevent these tragedies. We do this by empowering families - particularly those who are most vulnerable - with the provision of practical strategies and knowledge of how to keep their kids safe. We run evidence-based community outreach programs and develop educational campaigns and resources in collaboration with a variety of stakeholders.
Our impact: Since Kidsafe's establishment, the number of children in Australia killed by unintentional injury has reduced from 650 deaths per year to just over 150 deaths per year. To date, a great deal has been achieved in preventing unintentional injuries to children – however, there is still much to be done. Kidsafe and the community must continue their efforts to save the lives of Victorian children.
How to apply for this role
Please apply via email to email@example.com by 5pm Saturday 31st of August.
Please quote in application: Child Car Restraint Manager via Pro Bono Australia.