About the role
Justice Connect is a dynamic and innovative organisation and has grown rapidly over the last four years. We are seeking a Finance Officer to join our Operations team. The Operations team provides support, advice and expertise across the organisation and is responsible for managing the physical work environment, developing and maintaining information technology tools to support the work of Justice Connect, recruitment and development of staff, management of and accountability for funds, and implementation of fundraising, events and communications strategies. The Operations team also oversees the governance and compliance obligations of Justice Connect.
The Human Rights Law Centre and Health Justice Australia are co-located with Justice Connect and the three organisations regularly collaborate on a range of issues. The Operations team provides a range of support services to the Human Rights Law Centre and Health Justice Australia on a fee for service basis.
The Finance Officer is responsible for supporting the financial operations of Justice Connect, Human Rights Law Centre and Health Justice Australia through accurate and timely data entry, accounts payable, accounts receivable and reconciliations.
The position undertakes the full range of financial activities including accounting, budgeting, treasury and asset control to ensure the effective and efficient achievement of each organisation’s vision.
The Finance Officer will on occasion, provide the efficient and effective running of the fortnightly payroll, for Justice Connect, the Human Rights Law Centre and Health Justice Australia.
If you have strong financial and interpersonal skills and experience (preferably in the Not-for-profit sector), as well as a strong desire to make a difference for human rights and social justice, we look forward to hearing from you.
The Finance Officer is responsible for:
- supporting the financial operations of Justice Connect, the Human Rights Law Centre and Health Justice Australia including thorough data entry, accounts payable, accounts receivable, reconciliations and reporting
- providing back up for the efficient and effective processing of the fortnightly payroll for Justice Connect, the Human Rights Law Centre and Health Justice Australia.
- Data entry to the accounting package Reckon
- Reconcile all bank statements daily. Ensure all bank statement amounts are accounted for and all items are followed up on a timely basis
- Undertake accounts receivable functions including creation of invoices, issuing of statements, reconciliations, follow up payments when necessary, provide aged analysis, maintenance of files
- Undertake accounts payable functions including processing of creditor invoices, checking of statements and payments, reconciliations, maintenance of files and communication with suppliers
- Respond to staff requests for information regarding creditor and debtor invoices
- Assist with processing monthly credit card statements
- Assist with data entry for three fortnightly payroll processes
- Complete, general journals, accruals, prepayments, and balancing adjustments
- Support the financial year end procedure
- Assist with the preparation of various reports including but not limited to budgets, forecasts and cash flow
- Provide proactive advice for system and process improvement
Provide back up to
- the processing of three organisations’ fortnightly payroll, ensuring payroll is processed accurately
- Coordinating with outsourced salary packaging provider to ensure fortnightly salary packaging is processed accurately
- Preparation of payroll related reports for managers
- Providing assistance to all employees on payroll queries
Perform other duties as directed and necessary to the proper performance of the role.
About the organisation
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join one of Australia’s most successful public interest and social justice organisations. Justice Connect is a not-for-profit organisation with a vision of a fair and strong community in which people have a fair chance at a better life, the community sector is strong and vibrant and the legal/justice and non-legal social systems are fairer and better.
At Justice Connect, we believe everyone deserves a fair chance at a better life. Too often, our legal system is complicated, expensive and inaccessible. And when the system doesn’t work for everyone, it works for no one. It holds our community back. That’s why we use the law to help people and community groups left behind by an unfair and complicated legal system. Whether it’s a single mother facing homelessness, a local community group struggling with overwhelming regulation or an older person dealing with family violence, real-life problems so often have legal solutions. That’s why we connect people with legal help. We use the power of the law to open up the legal system for those locked out of it, and to change the system where it is broken.
The key to our impact is the passionate commitment of our people. We hold ourselves to the highest standards, driven by a desire to deliver real improvements in the lives of the people and communities we help.
How to apply for this role
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Finance Officer via Pro Bono Australia.