About the role
General Manager – Mind Medicine Australia
Are you an outstanding, detail-oriented multi-skilled operations leader looking for:
- The opportunity to take a senior leadership position in an innovative new organisation that is seeking to change the paradigm for the treatment of mental illness in Australia?
- The chance to work with an inspirational Board and international Advisory Group and a small dynamic team?
- Meaning and purpose through working in the not for profit sector helping people who are suffering?
If this is you, then please apply for this exciting opportunity!
The General Manager will provide high level executive, secretariat and project management services including the provision of strategic advice, managing administration, communications and implementing strategies to support the achievement of the organisation’s strategic and operational objectives.
The successful candidate will be responsible for all of the support operations of MMA including:
- The project management and development of specific projects designed to assist with the consideration and implementation of psychedelic therapy by key stakeholders, including a preferred legal and ethical framework, the development of a Therapist Training Program and the development of a Centre of Excellence in Psychedelic Therapy,
- The ‘hands-on’ management of all parts of the back office of MMA to ensure that MMA provides best practice and timely liaison and reporting to its Board, donors, stakeholders and regulatory authorities and action requests to coordinate communication and proactively ensure responses meet deadlines
- The provision of expert advice and contribution to decision making; identification of emerging issues/risks and their implications; the development of solutions; the receipt of advice and reporting generally on progress towards MMA’s organisational objectives and future directions
- The implementation, monitoring and reporting on strategic, operational and project plans to inform decision making and support the achievement of organisational objectives
- Researching and preparing strategic advice, information and reports on diverse and complex policy, planning and operational matters to facilitate informed decision making and planning, provide issues management and support, and responding to emerging issues to ensure effective resolution
- Fundraising including the development of presentations to donors and prospective donors, grant writing, donor and grant identification, approaching and securing funds from prospective donors and grant-making bodies and the securing of partnerships for the major international conference in late 2020
- The maintenance and improvement of administrative practices, accounting, donor, database and other systems and procedures to optimise efficiency and support the achievement of quality outcomes
- The development and management of events to broaden the awareness and benefits of psychedelic therapy for treatment of mental illness, and
- The implementation of an effective communications strategy and correspondence including briefings, reports, submissions, marketing collateral and notes to ensure the comprehensiveness, accuracy, and timeliness of written information, and through social media, the broader media and newsletters, announcements and effective networking
The preferred candidate will work closely with the Chair and Deputy Chair of MMA and other members of the Board, small MMA team and volunteers.
The preferred candidate for the role will have the following skills:
- Demonstrated project management, operational, logistics and administrative skills and a good understanding of how technology can be used to leverage outcomes and improve efficiencies
- Demonstrated people management skills and capacity to lead and work as part of a team, and maximise the input of diverse volunteers
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills combined with a capacity to drive innovation, collect and assimilate information from a variety of different sources and juggle multiple projects simultaneously
- A strong understanding of regulatory reporting requirements and accounting and donor management systems
- Excellent presentational skills, ICT, written and oral communication skills and the capacity to deal with people at all levels and areas of expertise
- Strong fundraising, profile building, key stakeholder management, partnership and event planning skills.
- Outstanding attention to detail and ability to maintain and improve systems and processes for maximum efficiency
- A capacity to understand medical and clinical trial methodology and enthusiasm to master the detail and developments associated with psychedelic therapy in real time
- A broad understanding of and/or interest in the treatment of mental illness
- A University level degree in business, economics, public policy, law, medicine, health, marketing or related areas
- At least 10 years work experience at mid-management or senior levels, or experience and success as an entrepreneur
Below is the full list of capabilities required for this role:
- Display Resilience and Courage
- Act with Integrity
- Communicate Effectively and Responsively to meet all deadlines
- Prioritise and juggle tasks effectively
- Work Collaboratively
- Influence and negotiation skills
- Deliver Results
- Plan and Prioritise
- Think and Solve Problems
- Demonstrate Accountability, Efficiency, Reliability and Professionalism
- Project Management skills
- Technology skills
- Manage and Develop People
- Maintain confidentiality and exercise diplomacy
- Optimise Business Outcomes
This will be negotiated with the successful applicant and will be competitive with normal salary levels in the not-for-profit sector for organisations like MMA.
About the organisation
Australia has some of the worst mental illness statistics in the World with rates of depression, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, suicide, addictions and the use of anti-depressants all increasing. At Mind Medicine Australia (MMA) we believe that simply doing more of the same, or making only incremental changes to the current system, is not going to solve this worsening problem
Psychedelic-assisted treatments offer enormous potential in providing a very meaningful alternative to current treatments. This approach has already been given ‘Breakthrough Therapy’ designation by the Food and Drug Administration in the United States, and we have seen positive research trials taking place at many of the most prestigious universities in the world.
MMA seeks to establish safe and effective psychedelic-assisted treatments for mental illness in Australia. As a registered charity (with DGR-1 status), we seek to raise awareness through education, promote the development of the best legal and ethical framework, ensure that therapists are appropriately qualified and support clinical research and development towards safe, regulatory-approved and evidence-based psychedelic-assisted therapies in this country. We aim to provide a science-based nexus between medical practitioners, academia, government, regulatory bodies, philanthropists and other partners.
MMA’s Board, Management Team, Ambassadors, and Advisory Panel members include leading practitioners in the applied treatment of mental illness, psychedelic medical research, health strategy, ethics and other relevant fields from both Australia and overseas.
Key projects that MMA is focused on are:
- Awareness building through education and events and the promotion of a major international medical conference on psychedelic medicine and mental illness in late 2020
- The development of an accredited therapist training program to ensure that qualified therapists are available as and when this therapy becomes legal in Australia
- The development of a preferred legal and ethical framework for psychedelic therapy in Australia
- Arrangements for medicine availability in Australia at low cost, as and when these medicines become legal for therapeutic purposes
- The establishment of a Centre of Excellence in Psychedelic Therapy in Australia for the Asia Pacific region with close links to key universities and industry in both Australia and overseas.
- The development of strong international connections to maximise knowledge and awareness in Australia
MMA does not advocate for the non-clinical use of psychedelics or any other prohibited substances, nor do we advocate for any change to the law regarding non-clinical use.
Core MMA Operating Principles
The core principles of MMA are:
- The accurate communication of developments in psychedelic research from around the World with a focus on the science and clinical trial results
- A best of breed approach to honest communications, innovation, education, governance, reporting and back office systems
- Effective use of partnerships to maximise mutually beneficial outcomes
- A learning and team environment where the core objective is to help people suffering from mental illness
- Constant improvement in the way that we operate
How to apply for this role
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: General Manager - Mind Medicine Australia via Pro Bono Australia.