About the role
Board of directors
The role of Federation Enterprises’ board of directors is to provide governance and strategic leadership to the organisation. This includes:
- Maintaining oversight of and growing the capital and income generated from its investments
- Developing new opportunities that enhance and benefit Federation, its members and Traditional Owners more broadly
- Directing, controlling and managing the interests of the company; leading and managing risk and investment due diligence
- Building shareholder relationships with joint venture partners and broader business and industry
- Ensuring the interests, integrity and reputation of the parent company and group are maintained through strong accountability, reporting and communication
The board of directors generally meet a minimum of four times per year. Board members are generally appointed for a period of two years, or as determined by Federation.
Expectations of directors
Directors are expected to:
- Have the appropriate skills, knowledge and attributes for the position
- Prepare for, attend and actively participate in board meetings
- Utilise their skills, experience and knowledge to contribute to Federation Enterprises’ success
- Adhere to Federation Enterprises policies and procedures, and strengthen its governance
- Become familiar with Federation Enterprises strategies, investments, resources and finances
- Build relationships across government, business and finance sectors
About the organisation
Victoria has legally recognised Traditional Owner groups across nearly 70% of the State and this figure is set to grow as the final native title claims are resolved over the next few years. To manage our native title settlements and interests, each group created a Traditional Owner Corporation on Country.
Our Traditional Owner Corporation members represent our people and are recognised by government as the cultural custodians of our Country. Much of our work focuses on protecting Victoria’s Aboriginal cultural heritage for everyone to enjoy and sharing our traditional knowledge to care for Victoria’s land and waters. Our corporations are critical to strengthening the future of our people and while each group may be culturally different; each corporation is facing similar issues. We are not always consulted on decisions that affect our Country and we want to create sustainable businesses that can leverage the most from our settlements.
We realised that by coming together we could be stronger. Initial meetings between groups interested in creating an alliance were held in 2012 and we resolved to create the Federation of Victorian Traditional Owner Corporations in 2013, focusing on our shared interests – broadening political engagement, increasing economic opportunities and caring for Country.
Our purpose is to be one strong voice for Traditional Owners and progress our shared interests.
Federation Enterprises is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Federation. Federation Enterprises’ objectives are to:
- Generate a stable income to resource an independent Federation
- Generate income to promote wider social and cultural strengthening programs
- Create employment opportunities for Traditional Owners and the wider Aboriginal Community
- Create viable economic Traditional Owner Corporations by supporting members’ business aspirations
How to apply for this role
Federation’s selection panel will review the EOIs and make recommendations for appointment. A selection panel will make recommendations to the Federation (parent company) board on final decision.
EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST CLOSE ON 25th OCTOBER AT 5PM
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN THE POSITION PLEASE COMPLETE THE EXPRESSION OF INTEREST FORM ATTACHED.
TO DISCUSS THE ROLE OR REQUEST FURTHER INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT:
Phoebe Reid, Evans Faull. firstname.lastname@example.org
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are strongly encouraged to submit an EOI
Please quote in application: Board of directors positions via Pro Bono Australia.