About the role
Responsibilities and Specific Duties
Assist with governance of the organisation by:
- Supporting the President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer to carry out their roles
- Providing support to the Executive in all Compliancy Reporting for ACNC, DHHS, Office of Disability
As directed by the BIM Executive to:
- Maintain communication with members of the organization and with the broader ABI community
- Be involved in Executive, Committee of Management and other relevant meetings
- Assist with, be involved in and attend BIM events
- Facilitate the administration of the office mail, email and phone correspondence
- Be involved in submission writing processes
Assist the Committee of Management to:
- set priorities, decide on and plan new initiatives
Skills and Experience
- Knowledge of the principles of self advocacy
- Knowledge of Governance Structures and roles used in Incorporated organizations
- Experience in compliance reporting
- Experience in working as a Support Worker
- Experience in working collaboratively with a team
- Knowledge of accessible communication formats
- Excellent time management, planning and priority-setting
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to resource people with an ABI
- Ability to implement community inclusion and participatory practices
- Knowledge in the area of website and other social media tools
- Understanding of the significance of community and key stakeholders
Key Selection Criteria
- A familiarity with and commitment to the human rights of persons with a disability as set out in the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with a Disability (UNCRPD)
- Knowledge of disability self advocacy
- Demonstrated experience of working in a Support Worker role
- Experience in working in Not-For-Profit community organisations
- Knowledge of organizational Governance structures and roles
- Demonstrated understanding of the principles of community inclusion, empowerment and participatory decision- making
- Evidence of good communications skills
- Demonstrated organizational skills and ability to prioritize jobs
- Experience in the area of using social media tools
- Capacity to develop and foster partnerships with key stakeholders
- Evidence of working with a diverse range of people
The position is a Part-Time position for 15 hours per week.
The position is per the Social and Community Services (SCHCADS) Level 5, Pay Point 1 ($38.85 per hour).
1 day must be worked on Tuesdays – with the other day worked being flexible according to position requirements.
About the organisation
Brain Injury Matters (BIM) is a self advocacy group run by and for people with an Acquired Brain Injury (ABI). BIM organises events and identifies opportunities to assist systemic self advocacy. BIM aims to help people living with ABI to build their own capacity, advocate for an accessible community, and to increase community awareness about ABI.
Vision Statement: BRAIN INJURY MATTERS (BIM) is a not-for-profit self advocacy organisation managed by people with acquired brain injury (ABI), that works to improve the lives of people living with an ABI
Mission Statement: BRAIN INJURY MATTERS (BIM), to improve the life for people with living with an ABI, has, as its principal objectives:
- To operate within a Self Advocacy Framework
- To raise community awareness about the effects of ABI, in order to advocate for an accessible Australian society for all people
- To address the social isolation and marginalization experienced by many people with an ABI
BIM is funded by the Victorian State Government through Disability Services and the Office for Disability. BIM is run by and for its members
BIM is an Incorporated Association governed by a volunteer Committee of Management which includes 4 Executive members (President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer) and 4 Ordinary Members. All of these decision makers have an ABI.
Ross House, Level 4, 247 Flinders Lane, Melbourne 3000
Telephone: 03 9639 7555 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
How to apply for this role
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Co-ordination Support Worker via Pro Bono Australia.