About the role
Use your strategic and policy leadership skills to grow a new, high-profile organisation – and take it to the next level.
The Public Journalism Initiative (PIJI) is seeking a dynamic and experienced leader who will work closely with the PIJI Board to develop the organisation.
The ideal candidate will be a clear-sighted, resourceful individual with extensive policy and advocacy experience, and a proven track record in effective team management and results-driven leadership.
About the role
The Executive Director will be responsible and accountable for the design and delivery of PIJI’s vision, strategy and programs in conjunction with the Board. This includes managing key relationships with all sides of government, new and existing funders and other stakeholders.
The Executive Director will drive careful but creative growth, underpinned by solid governance, leadership, financial and operational capabilities.
- Relevant tertiary qualifications and/or equivalent experience
- Extensive knowledge of, and demonstrated success in, public policy and advocacy experience, ideally in the media environment but open to a successful track-record in other industries
- Proven background in fostering public discourse and debate
- Senior executive experience in media, government ministerial and business relations
- Experience in working with, and reporting to, a high-profile board of directors
- Organisation / people leadership and management at a senior level
- Business acumen, including strategic planning and financial management
- Track record in leading transformational and policy change
- Collaborative research capability with government, industry and community interests
Experience, Knowledge and Skills
- Ability to create and communicate an inspiring vision that supports the industry and helps to influence and engage business and policy decision makers
- Ability to keep across the impact of media market trends and identify appropriate responses
- Strong and credible interpersonal skills with the ability to develop and lead a high quality, team and work with PIJI stakeholders to build a strong and engaged community
- Proven experience with communicating key messages and engaging well with mainstream and social media
- Strong business acumen and strategic /operational planning skills
- Sound accounting, financial control and reporting skills; can anticipate financial challenges and work with others to identify sustainable solutions
- Experience in managing a small office environment and team
- Ability to focus on long-term sustainability
Applicants with an understanding of, or experience in, independent advisory or statutory bodies will be highly regarded as will experience in stakeholder management and the media industry.
Terms: Full time/ 0.8FTE (negotiable)
About the organisation
PIJI’s aim is to act as a catalyst to encourage the creation of policies and innovative actions needed to arrest the rapid decline in public interest journalism. It is a non-partisan, philanthropically funded, not-for-profit body established as a limited-life initiative (3-5 years) to conduct research, develop policy and promote public discussion and ensure a sustainable ecosystem of independent public interest journalism in Australia.
PIJI was established in 2018 after consultations with publishers, editors, philanthropists, business leaders, policy-makers and researchers, and is governed by a board of highly-credentialed voluntary directors across the disciplines of media, law, public policy, research, philanthropy and business.
PIJI supports informed debate with credible research and works independently and collaboratively to develop rigorous public policy options.
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Executive Director via Pro Bono Australia.