About the role
As the 2IC of the organisation, you will report directly to the Chief Executive Officer and will assist in the delivery of YouthNow’s Strategic Plan by managing the day-to-day business of YouthNow. You will have the essential task of supporting the design and the on-time completion of YouthNow’s various activities, which help deliver our projects and programs. A key focus will be the management of program delivery that is compliant, within budget and meeting required contractual obligations.
You will have at least 5 years’ leadership experience preferably in a not for profit organisation, and demonstrable skills and experience in managing and supporting staff and delivering government contracts. You are adept at liaising with government departments and funders. You will also have sound project management skills and extensive experience in turning good project ideas into practice through implementation, monitoring and evaluation. Specifically, you have provided leadership to individual staff and managed several project teams using your expertise to ensure the successful delivery of projects.
You have detailed knowledge of and experience in working with disengaged and disadvantaged youth and designing and delivering support programs to assist with education, training and employment pathways. You have a sound understanding of current youth transitions issues and policies at a local, state and national level.
Most importantly, you are flexible, happy being hands on when needed, are an innovative thinker and a creative doer. You think outside the square and encourage others to do the same. You are continually learning and if an opportunity doesn’t present itself you create one. You enjoy working in a small close knit team where people support each other. You have ideas to share and energy to burn and are open to future prospects within the organisation.
Key selection criteria:
Qualifications, licences, capacity
- A bachelor’s degree and extensive experience in areas of Youth Work, Education and Training, Community Work, Management, or related fields.
- Current Working with Children’s Check and Police Check
- Driver’s Licence and access to a vehicle
- Capacity to fulfil all aspects of the role
- Extensive experience in managing, supporting and inspiring staff across multiple teams
- A history of reviewing and improving organisation processes and systems
- Skills and experience in working with and supporting a CEO or senior executive
- Demonstrable organisational / time management skills, including ability to prioritise, manage multiple tasks, work to deadlines, manage interruptions and adapt to changing priorities
- Demonstrable skills in project management including the successful delivery to time, quality and budget of a significant project in the past 2 years
Knowledge and skills
- An understanding of challenges, opportunities and issues facing youth and a working knowledge of the key policy issues affecting the youth services sector
- Exceptional communication skills written and verbal including: writing reports, funding submissions and accountability reports; and consultation, influencing and negotiation skills.
- Demonstrable ability in actively engaging with a range of stakeholders
- Demonstrable ability to use initiative, think laterally and strategically, meet deadlines and produce quality work under pressure
- Proven capacity to be adaptive and resilient, and to work independently in a self-directed manner as well as in collaboration with team members
- Demonstrated innovative response or creative action to solve or manage an issue or situation.
About the organisation
YouthNow is a dynamic Not for Profit youth organisation, servicing young people across Melbourne’s West. We are 22 years young and dedicated to co-designing effective training and employment services to support 15 to 30 year-old vulnerable youth. Our purpose is to work with young people to build their skills for a bright future.
From our main office at the VISY Cares Hub in Sunshine, we deliver both government funded and fee for service programs across Melbourne’s west. We deliver Transition to Work, Skills First Reconnect, Youth Learning Pathways and ACFE Pre-accredited training. We also operate mentoring, work placement and leadership programs across local secondary schools.
Our values are:
Equity - We are inclusive, supportive and unbiased
Respect - We encourage individual beliefs, choices and identities
Leadership - We are proactive and offer practical and innovative solutions
Transparency - We strive to be clear, open and direct
Collaboration - We work with others to achieve outstanding results
Innovation underpins all of our work, with staff encouraged to think differently and seek solutions that are outside the norm. We pride ourselves in being different.
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Manager People and Programs via Pro Bono Australia.