About the role
Duties and Responsibilities
The Company Secretary plays a key role in the organisation, working closely with the CEO and board. The Company Secretary provides strategic legal and governance advice to the CEO and board, and oversees all aspects of the organisation’s regulatory compliance. In addition to statutory obligations relating to reporting and record keeping, the Company Secretary oversees board and company member meeting processes to ensure that they are effective and compliant. The Company Secretary role is supported by other staff and volunteer positions, responsible for tasks such as board and committee minute taking. The role may also involve liaising with external legal advisers regarding advice on governance or other issues.
Skills and Attributes
The Company Secretary requires the following skills and attributes:
- Qualifications commensurate with being and/or experience as a company secretary.
- Legal qualifications required.
- Commercial acumen operating in mission-based organisations.
- Proficiency with MS Office suite and cloud-based storage systems such as Dropbox and Google Drive.
- Self-motivation and willingness to take responsibility for tasks and self-direct work.Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Good organisational and time-management skills.
- Ability to maintain positive relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
About the organisation
East Timor Hearts Fund (ETHF) is Australia's only medical NGO dedicated to providing life-saving heart surgery in Australia and Timor-Leste for young people from Timor-Leste, as well as heart-health research, prevention, healthcare capacity building and education projects. ETHF is a volunteer driven organization, including Board and committee members, patient support volunteers and our clinical volunteers.
East Timor Hearts Fund’s activities include heart screening conducted by visiting volunteer medical teams three times a year in Timor-Leste; life-saving heart surgery for 10-20 patients a year in Australia; and surgical missions to Timor-Leste (first paediatric surgical mission was conducted in February-March 2018).
The organisation is expanding into research, prevention and education activities to tackle the root causes of poor heart health in Timor-Leste. East Timor Hearts Fund coordinated and supported a landmark Rheumatic Heart Disease prevalence study with Timorese and Australian health and research partners. The results were published in the Medical Journal of Australia in April 2018 and form a platform for advocacy and action on rheumatic heart disease in Timor-Leste.
The organisation’s work program is underpinned by a three-year strategic plan. More information is on the website at www.easttimorheartsfund.org.au/about-us/our-strategy/
East Timor Hearts Fund was established informally in September 2010 and incorporated as a company limited by guarantee in August 2012. It is registered with the Australian Charities and Not for Profits Commission and has tax endorsements from the Australian Tax Office, including DGR.
In addition to the CEO, East Timor Hearts Fund has a part-time operations manager and recently a part-time fundraising manager. A large team of volunteers undertake many of the tasks involved in running the organisation, including financial and accounting services, marketing, patient support, medical services and clinic administration.
East Timor Hearts Fund is supported by partners including law firm Russell Kennedy, and leading Australian health organisations including MonashHeart / Monash Health, Royal Melbourne Hospital and Eastern Heart Clinic and Prince of Wales Private Hospital in New South Wales. In Timor-Leste the organisation operates under formal MOUs with the Ministry of Health and the National Hospital Guido Valadares, and delivers services in partnership with local NGO Maluk Timor.
How to apply for this role
Applications and Candidature
- The candidate will be subject to ETHF policies and procedures, including the ETHF Code of Conduct and Child Protection Policy.
- The candidate will need to agree to and sign the ETHF Volunteer Agreement.
- Applications will need to include a resume and covering letter addressing how the applicant’s skills and experience make them suitable for the role.
- Applications to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Closing date for applications is Wednesday 20 November.
Please quote in application: Company Secretary via Pro Bono Australia.