About the role
Position title: Fundraising Director
Location: Seoul, South Korea
Reports to: General Director
Supervises: Team of Nine Staff
Salary: Competitive Salary for the market with relocation package (if required)
Purpose of the position
- Development and management of the fundraising strategy that maximizes private income from all possible sources and ensures the achievement of satisfactory cost per dollars raised in relation to pre-set standards and to general and specific trends within the industry and the economy while observing MSF Fundraising principles.
- Integration of the fundraising messages and activities to produce maximum synergies and coherence of MSF’s speech to the media and supporters.
Main tasks and Responsibilities
- Strategic planning and budgeting
- Develops, advises upon and formulates, in collaboration with the General Director, all fundraising strategies within South Korean home society for the next years: qualitative and quantitative objectives setting, definition of fundraising strategic lines, selection of main fundraising target groups, choice of the preferred fundraising sources mix and definition of the brand positioning proposal and main messages content.
- In collaboration with the General Director assumes the annual process of:
- Setting and reviewing multi-year and yearly investment and revenue targets; and determining the appropriate mix of income streams best designed to meet the strategic goal of diversified, predictable, secure and cost-efficient revenue (fundraising strategy and time frame for every chosen acquisition and cultivation sources: online, inserts, DRTV, emailing, telemarketing, F2F, major and corporates etc.)
- Translating strategies into annual action plans
- Plans and implements the action plans, takes corrective actions if needed and monitors the achievement of financial and non-financial objectives
- Evaluates and reports on the action plan performances
- Is constantly reading MSF press releases, reports and other general documentation and when possible, attends program briefings and specific operational presentations in order to have a deep understanding of MSF as an institution and to be fully informed of the most updated facts and releases concerning the work and opinions of MSF.
- Ensures that fundraising strategies, messages, and practices reflect MSF’s medical humanitarian ‘voice’, abide by ethical standards, and respect our donors’ intent.
- Ensures that all fundraising activities undertaken follow the MSF Fundraising principles.
- Follows up the evolution and trends of the Korean fundraising market.
- Closely tracks the actuality in Korea capturing this news that can have an impact on MSF’s activity.
- Ensures that MSF Korea’s brand identity is safeguarded and that all external communications materials and activities are representative of MSF’s mandate and image in accordance with MSF International logo and language style guidelines.
- Maintains knowledge of legal environment and ensures that all work undertaken meets legal and regulatory compliance, especially for data confidentiality.
- Strives to constantly review and create processes and procedures that improve the efficiency and the quality of the communication and fundraising work.
- Leads the selection of the main external suppliers and oversees relationships with all departmental vendors.
- Coordinates the creation of all fundraising campaigns (briefing to the agency or designer, reviews, approvals…).
- Oversees and participates in the implementation of all fundraising actions (both acquisition and cultivation actions) to ensure that they are executed in a high quality, timely and efficient manner according to the fundraising annual plan.
- Oversees the implementation of F2F activities in order to guarantee the quality of the message transmitted and monitor the efficiency of this acquisition method.
- Oversees when appropriate, the donors’ cultivation strategy in order to maximize donors’ lifetime value through retention, upgrade and reactivation fostering a relationship based on information and transparency that pursues genuine engagement of our donors to MSF’s Mission.
- Oversees the implementation of donors’ cultivation interactions according to the established donors’ relationship flow chart putting special attention in the timely execution of these activities (including welcome pack, thank you letters, emails, calls…).
- Regularly reviews the MSF website in order to ensure the adequate presence of fundraising appeals.
- Support the development and oversees the donor care service of MSF in Korea (he/she may recommend to establish it in-house or to carefully identify and select an adequate supplier which could also be an implant in MSF offices).
- Defines and regularly updates the donor care procedures, processes and systematic responses to donor queries.
- Oversees and monitors the data entry process of donors’ records, pledges, gifts and interactions in order to guarantee data accuracy, integrity and completeness.
- Oversees the development of coherent database systems to track and compile updated donor information and history. Has an in-depth knowledge of the CRM solution adopted to manage donors, gifts and interactions.
- Oversees the management of gifts’ collection and unpaid gifts.
- Develops and implements, with personal and direct dedication and in collaboration with the General Director, a strategic partnerships program targeting both mid/major donors and companies that can offer cash gifts and/or sponsor our activities in Korea
Marketing and Brand Management
- Oversees the development and leveraging of brand positioning and brand management
- Management and delegation of marketing activities related to fundraising implementations
- Coordinates with Director of Communications for integrated marketing activities
- Monitoring & Evaluation
- Defines and updates as needed fundraising KPIs system that helps to control the performance of the actions executed and adapt the strategy accordingly to obtain the most effective and efficient results.
- Monthly completes and analyses the data resulting from the communications and fundraising KPIs system.
- Analyses the results of every implemented campaign: response rates and ROI.
- Generates management reports as required by his/her hierarchical supervisor.
- Monitors public awareness of MSF Korea in the media and amongst the Korean public by carrying out periodic market research.
- Boosts, coordinates and oversees regular quantitative and qualitative surveys on the donors’ database, and the fundraising market in general.
- Team Management
- Appoints, manages and evaluates growing team.
- Delegate’s authority consults with and guides staff to achieve goals. Provides on-going feedback in a context of mutual respect.
- Conducts regular appraisals on his/her team in accordance with the Performance Management System of the MSF office in Korea.
- Supports the capacity building of his/her team and facilitates their integration in the international movement and in the third sector in Korea: proposes ad-hoc trainings, participation in fundraising and communication congresses, participation in the MSF international workshops, etc.
- Proposes and defines new positions as required for the development of the fundraising activities in MSF Korea.
- Oversees the selection and training of new staff.
- Represents MSF in and actively participates in the fundraising bodies in Korea (e.g. Fundraising association and relevant associations.)
- Collaborates with other fundraising departments of the MSF movement (information and experience sharing)
- Acts as the contact point for Korea in the event of launching of the MSF EFM (Emergency Fundraising Mechanism)
- Participates in the annual fundraising meeting of MSF International
- Participates, as opportunity arises, in those international MSF working groups that relevant for the fundraising work in Korea.
- Ensures the cohesion of the MSF Korea team and the development of synergies between the various activities.
- Participates in weekly staff meeting
- Directs weekly fundraising area meetings
- Member of the Management Team
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Essential Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree in business management or marketing or equivalent in experience.
- Minimum 10 years of proven professional experience in fundraising or marketing preferably in international setting.
- Experience designing, managing and implementing fundraising strategies for a broad range of initiatives, including direct response marketing and major gifts.
- Strong ability to demonstrate initiative, creativity and entrepreneurial spirit to achieve desired outcomes.
- Excellent analytical skills; facility with spreadsheets, budgets and forecasting. Proven capability to implement figures analysis. Ability to control and manage a budget.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills demonstrated in previous roles that required communication with a broad and diverse set of partners and impeccable judgment.
- 5 years’ experience in managing people.
- Strong interpersonal skills with outstanding leadership quality with a solid experience in team management and strong negotiation skills.
- Good listener with strong coaching and collaborative skills, being strategic but also hands-on.
- Used to working in international environments with ability to adapt and embrace cultural differences.
- Genuine interest for the humanitarian field.
- Commitment to the humanitarian principles of MSF.
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Ability to speak and write Korean is an asset
About the organisation
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international independent medical humanitarian organisation created in 1971, provides medical assistance to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters or exclusion from health care. MSF runs humanitarian programs in around 462 projects worldwide.
MSF opened its office in the Republic of Korea in 2012, based in Seoul. The MSF Korea office focuses on four key pillars: (1) recruitment of skilled Korean medical and non-medical staff to dispatch to MSF field projects, (2) communications to the Korean public on global humanitarian crises and urgent health emergencies, (3) outreach to Korean stakeholders and policymakers in support of international community engagement and action, (4) and fundraising from Korean donors to directly support MSF medical humanitarian activities.
How to apply for this role
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Fundraising Director via Pro Bono Australia.