About the role
Purpose of Position
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) is responsible for the strategic leadership of FARE. The role includes determining and implementing the vision of FARE and delivering its goals, policies and operational objectives. The role will have a particular focus on:
- Supporting and leading the staff of FARE to execute the strategic direction of the organisation in a safe, inspiring and inclusive way;
- Growing the evidence base on harms caused by alcohol and effective responses by supporting and strengthening partnerships, including the Centre for Alcohol Policy and Research (CAPR), and commissioning research;
- Advocating for the development of policies that stop harms caused by alcohol to key stakeholders in state and federal governments, and the broader community;
- Increasing the income of FARE through the engagement of philanthropic and corporate donors, and pursuing government grants to ensure the organisation has the resources it needs to achieve its strategic goals;
- Ensuring that key people in government, business and the media are aware of FARE and the full complement of its work, and regularly turn to it for advice on addressing harms caused by alcohol; and
- Overseeing FARE’s financial resources to ensure they are being budgeted and spent cost effectively, to further the organisation’s vision and strategies.
- Financial and operational: Oversee the development of annual budgets and twice-yearly expenditure reforecasts, ensuring FARE is operating within expenditure limits approved by the Board; oversee the development of annual operational plans, ensuring these are directed towards achieving the organisational strategy; and develop and ensure compliance with policies on corporate governance, risk management, financial reporting and all legal and regulatory matters.
- Organisational leadership: Evaluate the success of FARE against metrics determined by the strategic plan; strengthen FARE’s prominence in the media and relationship with government to better promote FARE’s agenda to stop the harms caused by alcohol; and demonstrate the leadership necessary to make FARE’s vision a success. This includes providing proactive leadership within and without the organisation to stop the harms caused by alcohol, through transformative changes, and building relationships with key stakeholders, politicians, government officials, decision-makers, or any other place where important decisions are made.
- Research and policy development: Support strategic partnerships to grow the evidence base on harms caused by alcohol and effective responses; commission and develop other research activities to further FARE’s policy and advocacy initiatives; and implement and support evidence-based decision making and relevant policy development.
- Public advocacy for FARE objectives: Collaborate with key stakeholders from government, the public health sector, professional associations and other non-government organisations working in alcohol policy related areas at a state and national level; and embed and grow the organisation’s capabilities to advocate for positive change in alcohol policy. This includes growing a community of supporters to support positive change, and growing national and international strategic alliances to enhance capacity to achieve common goals
- Fundraising and income growth: Develop and implement a fundraising and financial sustainability strategy to adequately resource FARE now and into the future.
Skills & Attributes
- Tertiary qualifications (or equivalent experience) in public health or related field.
- Additional qualifications in organisational management desirable. Able to manage multiple and demanding tasks, prioritising as necessary and working to time-sensitive deadlines.
- Previous experience in roles in health policy or public health.
- Previous experience in a leadership role at a Not-For-Profit organisation.
- Demonstrated capability in translating research to policy development.
- Demonstrated experience in advocacy for social change, including through the media.
- Demonstrated experience in raising charitable funds.
- Emotionally intelligent
- Outcome driven
- Excellent communication skills and ability to influence
- Strategic thinker with ability to execute and delegate
- Ability to lead an effective team in a mission-driven organisation
- Board Chair
- Chief Financial Officer
- Director of communications
- Director of policy and research
- Director of development and philanthropy
About the organisation
To stop harm caused by alcohol in Australia.
The Foundation for Alcohol Research and Education (FARE) is an independent, not-for-profit organisation working to stop the harm caused by alcohol.
Alcohol harm in Australia is significant. Almost 6,000 lives are lost every year and more than 144,000 people hospitalised, making alcohol one of our nation’s greatest preventive health challenges. The devastation doesn’t stop there; the high personal and financial toll extends well beyond the individual drinker. Each year nearly 400 people die, and 70,000 Australians are victims of alcohol-related assaults, including 24,000 victims of alcohol-related domestic violence. All these harms cost the nation an estimated $36 billion annually.
FARE has been working since 2001 with communities, governments, health professionals and police across the country to stop alcohol harms by supporting world-leading research, raising public awareness and advocating for changes to alcohol policy.
FARE is now embarking on action through advocacy and health promotion campaigns to bring these issues to the fore and to realise policy change.
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Chief Executive Officer via Pro Bono Australia.