About the role
We are looking for a Chief Executive Officer for the Aboriginal Health and Medical Research Council of NSW. The Aboriginal Health & Medical Research Council of New South Wales (AH&MRC ) is the peak representative body and voice of Aboriginal communities on health in NSW. We represent our members, the Aboriginal Community
Controlled Health Services (ACCHS) that deliver culturally appropriate comprehensive primary health care to their communities.
Aboriginal Community Control has its origins in Aboriginal people’s right to self-determination. This is the right to be involved in health service delivery and decision-making according to the protocols or procedures determined by Aboriginal communities based on the Aboriginal definition of health:
Aboriginal health means not just the physical well-being of an individual but the social, emotional and cultural wellbeing of the whole Community in which each individual is able to achieve their full potential as a human being thereby bringing about the total wellbeing of their Community. It is a whole of life view and includes the cyclical concept of life-death-life.
About the Job
The CEO will be responsible to the Board of Directors (the ‘Board’) for implementing strategic and operational policy and for the continued growth and viability of the organisation. The primary purpose of the role is to develop and grow the organisation’s services to members and to provide strategies and advice to the Board. In addition, the position is accountable for managing the day-to-day operations of all business units and operating in the best interests of members.
The position also performs the function of Company Secretary to the Board of AH&MRC.
- Coordinate the Board Meeting Calendar, Agendas, Documentation and Board Meetings and other governance/secretariat services as required
- Coordinate the AH&MRC Membership processes including identifying strategies for membership programs as required
- Directly responsible for the operations of all business units of AH&MRC working closely with the Chief Finance Officer in overseeing the day-to-day running of AH&MRC
- Ensure policy and procedures are implemented, reviewed and updated in relation to administration, HR, finance, operational practices and any other identified areas for compliance.
- Establish and maintain relationships with external bodies and represent AH&MRC on a number of committees and other public forums.
- Promoting Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Services as the preferred model for the delivery of comprehensive culturally appropriate primary health care to the Aboriginal community.
- Develop action plans and programmes aimed at achieving AH&MRC’s short- and medium-term goals and objectives as outlined in the Strategic Plan, whilst ensuring adherence to organisational values
- Lead the strategic planning process of AH&MRC
- Planning and managing financial, physical and human resources to ensure that the strategic objectives of the organisation are met and risks are identified and minimised
- Responsible for the overall profitability, future development and growth of the organisation within the scope of this role
- Responsible for working closely with the Chief Financial Officer and overseeing the actual financial accounts, budgets and reporting to ensure relevance and accuracy
- Developing strategy and coordinating fund raising activities
- Direct and co-ordinate the management team, ensuring organisational and individual goals are achieved
- Supervise, support and develop the management team, including performance planning and review, to enable the team to meet its identified goals
- Participate in the recruitment processes and appointing of staff
- Identify training and development needs of the management team as required including delivery of training and orientation of staff
- Establish control and evaluation methodologies to measure performance for reporting to the Board
- Meet reporting requirements to the Board as directed on a regular basis
- Liaise with the Board, and develop effective relationships, particularly with the Chairperson to ensure effective communication, understanding and collaboration is achieved
Company secretary functions
- Responsible for the efficient administration of AH&MRC, particularly regarding ensuring compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements and for ensuring that decisions of the Board of Directors are implemented
To be successful you will have;
- Tertiary qualifications in Business / Law / Health and/or extensive Executive Management experience
- Comprehensive knowledge of relevant legislation, policies and procedures related to Aboriginal Community and Controlled Health organisations
- Demonstrated high level relationship management and reporting in relation to a Board of Directors
- Demonstrated high level analytical and problem-solving skills in a complex, dynamic environment
- Proven ability and experience at a senior management level, to lead, motivate and manage a team, demonstrating effective understanding and experience in human resource management, leadership and motivational skills at strategic and operational levels
- Proven ability to develop and maintain organisation-wide policies and procedures and quality improvement systems
- Demonstrated high level interpersonal skills in relationship management, establishing and maintaining partnerships and negotiation skills with internal and external stakeholders
- A knowledge of and understanding of Aboriginal (and Torres Strait Islander) societies and cultures and an understanding of the issues, particularly in the health area which are affecting Aboriginal people as well as a demonstrated ability to communicate sensitively and effectively with Aboriginal people.
Generous professional development opportunities
- Salary sacrificing
- Flexible working arrangements
The constitution provides that there is a requirement for the CEO to be an Aboriginal person and to demonstrate an understanding of and commitment to AH&MRC objectives, and Aboriginal community.
A competitive remuneration package that reflects the senior nature of this role will be negotiated.
About the organisation
The Aboriginal Health & Medical Research Council of New South Wales (AH&MRC ) is the peak representative body and voice of Aboriginal communities on health in NSW. We represent our members, the Aboriginal Community
How to apply for this role
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Chief Executive Officer (CEO) via Pro Bono Australia.