About the role
About the Opportunity
We have a vacancy for a Child, Youth and Family Counsellor Advocate based in our Dandenong Office. This is a 1 year fixed term position backfilling a staff member who is taking on a new project.
About the role
You’ll be responsible for delivering thorough psycho social assessment, counselling and advocacy services to clients within Integrated Trauma Recovery Model. Foundation House works with survivors of torture and trauma experiences in their countries of origin or part of their refugee journey. You will be working with people of all ages and various ethnic, religious, and life backgrounds. This will include working with refugees having permanent residence or citizenship in Australia, Temporary Protection Visa holders (TPV), Special Humanitarian, Enterprise Visa holders (SHEV), asylum seekers in community detention and those living in the community on Bridging Visas. Foundation House work involves intake, assessment and counselling work with clients while using professional interpreters.
The work involves significant outreach work particularly at schools. Some travel to other Foundation House sites and venues will be required for professional development and various meetings. Foundation House fleet vehicle will be provided for outreach work and as such it is a requirement of these roles that you have a valid driver’s licence.
You will work in multidisciplinary, multicultural team committed to human rights and highly professional work with refugees and asylum seekers from very diverse backgrounds and torture and trauma experiences.
Reporting to a Team Leader, you will be supported by highly skilled and qualified practitioners and receive regular supervision and valuable support.
- Degree qualified as a psychologist, social worker, and counsellor or similar
- Ability to demonstrate your experience providing therapeutic interventions, advocacy and risk assessment.
- Demonstrated understanding of trauma informed practice models in working with adults, youth, children and their families,
- Experience in a range of approaches in supporting complex cases such as mental health, family violence, substance abuse issues.
This role is well suited to candidates who are organised, client-focused and who can effectively manage tasks and deadlines while maintaining a high degree of self-awareness and professionalism. You will also demonstrate a positive, creative and collaborative approach to the delivery of these vital services. Previous experience in working or with Refugees and Asylum Seekers will be highly regarded.
Key Selection Criteria:
- Ability to undertake intake assessments, comprehensive psychosocial assessments and risk assessments with children, adolescents and families
- Counselling skills for complex trauma in working with children, adolescents and families
- Experience with advocating on behalf of children, adolescents and families with respect to a range of issues related to health, welfare, legal and government.
- Ability to work collaboratively in partnerships and with service providers.
- Previous work experience as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Knowledge in trauma, its psychosocial impact, and the suitable interventions using a trauma informed and systems based framework.
Remuneration and Benefits
Remuneration is based on our Enterprise Agreement 2014 up to $87,517 gross per annum pro rata plus superannuation. Benefits include generous salary packaging, leave loading, a range of flexible working options and a highly supportive team environment.
VFST promotes the safety and well-being of children
VFST is an equal opportunity employer.
The right to live and work in Australia is an essential requirement of this role.
About the organisation
The Victorian Foundation for Survivors of Torture Inc. (also known as Foundation House) provides services to advance the health, wellbeing and human rights of people of refugee backgrounds in Victoria who have experienced torture or other traumatic events in their country of origin or while fleeing those countries. The organisation was established in Melbourne in 1987 and is non-denominational, politically neutral and non-aligned. Foundation House is a state-wide agency offering services in metropolitan, regional and rural areas, with head office based in Brunswick. We have approximately 200 staff with metropolitan regional offices in Dallas, Sunshine, Dandenong and Ringwood.
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Counsellor / Social Worker / Psychologist – Dandenong via Pro Bono Australia.