About the role
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced social worker to join our Family Services team based at South Melbourne. The position is full time, initially maximum term until 30 June 2020, with regular opportunities for extension or transfer across Uniting.
The Family Services program supports families who are experiencing high levels of stress and difficulties that impact on parenting, family life and children’s well being. The program responds to referrals from Child Protection and the community in a brief entry capacity.
In a typical day, a Senior Family Services Practitioner might:
- Use a creative approach to arrange a visit with a reluctant new family
- Build rapport to carry out a strengths and risk assessment in the client’s home or child’s school
- Work with Families using the new 200 hour model
- Consult with an internal Family Violence specialist on resources for the needs of a child you are working with
- Prepare a report for other agencies that you are working with on a complex case
- Discuss a difficult case with your team in a Reflective Practice meeting
To be successful in your application you will meet the person specification in the position description, including having a relevant tertiary qualification in a field related to Social Work or Psychology.
Please address the following questions related to the person specification in your cover letter to be uploaded as part of your application:
- Summarise your knowledge and use of the Child Youth & Family Act 2005 and Best Interest Principles
- Describe a challenging time you had in actively engaging with a family
- Provide an example of how you have planned and implemented an intervention related to the development of parenting capacity and/or family functioning
About the organisation
At Uniting we are passionate about working together to inspire people, enliven communities and confront injustice.
Visit us: www.vt.uniting.org
Uniting is a child safe organisation and is committed in everyday practice to ensure the safety and wellbeing of all children, at all times. As a ‘child safe’ organisation, employment with Uniting is subject to a satisfactory national (and international where relevant) police check and Working With Children Check (in Victoria) and/or Working With Vulnerable People Check (in Tasmania) prior to commencement of any paid or unpaid work and/or participation in any service or undertaking.
Uniting is also committed to equal opportunity and ensuring the workplace is reflective of the community. We encourage people from different backgrounds to apply, including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds and people with a disability.
How to apply for this role
- If this sounds like you, find out more about this role or apply today.
- You will be asked to upload your resume and a covering letter with your responses to the questions above. We recommend that you provide examples that show the range, scale and complexity of your experiences.
- Applications close Thursday 12 December 2019
Get in touch
- Kelly McGrath – Team Leader – 03 9521 5666
- Robyn Barton – Program Leader – 03 9704 8377
Please quote in application: Senior Family Services Practitioner via Pro Bono Australia.