About the role
Djirra supports Aboriginal women’s journey to safety and wellbeing, and provides legal and practical supports to Aboriginal people experiencing family violence across Victoria. Djirra is an Aboriginal Community Controlled Organisation with a rich history, and we are growing our services across regional Victoria.
An exciting opportunity has arisen in our Mildura office for a Senior Lawyer to provide and oversee high quality legal advice and representation, and non-legal support.
This 12-month position is specifically funded to provide legal advice and representation to Aboriginal victim/survivors of family violence presenting in the Mildura Magistrates Court Family Violence List and the Mildura Koori Court in relation to family violence intervention order breaches. A critical component of the role will involve developing a strong collaborative working relationship with the Koori Family Violence Support Workers in the Umalek Balit service operating at the Mildura Courts.
The Senior Lawyer/Lawyer will deliver high quality legal advice and representation in family violence, family law and victims of crime matters while also managing a significant child protection case load. You will also work closely with a Paralegal Support Worker to support clients to access a variety of legal, social, psychological, cultural, health, financial and other support services to address their needs.
Our ideal candidate:
- Is dedicated to the prevention of family violence
- Ensures clients receive an excellent level of service
- Is an advocate for justice for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People
- Has at least 5 years of post-admission experience (related to family law/violence)
- Is passionate about working to build regional stakeholder relationships
- Contributes to service development and improvement
- Is able to mentor and guide staff.
The position will work across significant geographical areas and may require regular travel and overnight stays.
Ability to effectively communicate and work with the local Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander communities and knowledge of social justice issues in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities is preferred.
Djirra is committed to Child Safety and as part of Djirra’s screening requirements all staff must have (or are able to obtain) a Working With Childrens Check and a National Police Check. You must also demonstrate an understanding of Child Safety.
- Opportunity to establish the service in Mildura
- Fixed term 12 month full time position
- Generous salary packaging options available
- Extra days off between Christmas and New Year
- Access to a monthly RDO (Rostered Day Off), Cultural leave and Annual Leave Loading
- Employee Assistance Program with supportive, confidential counselling for personal and work concerns
- Debriefing sessions with qualified practitioners
Please refer to the below PD for further information.
About the organisation
How to apply for this role
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Senior Lawyer (full time, fixed term contract) – Mildura via Pro Bono Australia.