About the role
Djirra supports Aboriginal women’s journey to safety and wellbeing, and provides legal and practical supports to Aboriginal people experiencing family violence across Victoria. Djirra is an Aboriginal Community Controlled Organisation with a rich history, and we are growing our services across regional Victoria.
An exciting opportunity has arisen in our newly established Morwell office for a Senior Lawyer or Lawyer to provide and oversee high quality legal advice and representation, and non-legal support. This role will create connections to establish our presence in the Latrobe Valley region and help us to shape how we deliver our services across the region, including outreach across the region with a primary focus on Child Protection case-work. The role will work closely with Djirra staff in Bairnsdale, including travel to that office each alternate month.
The Senior Lawyer or Lawyer will deliver high quality legal advice and representation in family violence, family law and victims of crime matters while also managing a significant child protection case load. You will also work closely with a Paralegal Support Worker to support clients to access a variety of legal, social, psychological, cultural, health, financial and other support services to address their needs.
Our ideal candidate:
- Is dedicated to the prevention of family violence
- Ensures clients receive an excellent level of service
- Is an advocate for justice for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
- Has at least 5 years of post-admission experience (related to family law/violence)
- Is passionate about working to build regional stakeholder relationships
- Contributes to service development and improvement
- Is able to mentor and guide staff.
Ability to effectively communicate and work with the local Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander communities and knowledge of social justice issues in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities is preferred.
Djirra is committed to Child Safety and as part of Djirra’s screening requirements all staff must have (or are able to obtain) a Working With Childrens Check and a National Police Check. You must also demonstrate an understanding of Child Safety.
- Brand new office
- Permanent full time position
- Generous salary packaging options available
- Extra days off between Christmas and New Year
- Access to a monthly RDO (Rostered Day Off), Cultural leave, paid Parental leave and Annual Leave Loading
- Employee Assistance Program with supportive, confidential counselling for personal and work concerns
- Debriefing sessions with qualified practitioners
Applications for this position will close as soon as a suitable candidate is sourced, therefore we strongly encourage your application as soon as possible. We also strongly encourage Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to apply.
About the organisation
How to apply for this role
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Senior Lawyer or Lawyer (full time, permanent) – Morwell via Pro Bono Australia.