About the role
- Reports to the Principal Solicitor
- Full time with flexibility to offer 0.8 EFT
- Competitive staff benefits
- Footscray based
The Asylum Seeker Resource Centre (ASRC) is a leading advocacy organisation for people seeking asylum. We are a value-driven organisation that strives to be part of a movement that helps people seeking asylum by providing direct services such as assistance with accommodation, food provisions, casework and legal services. We campaign and lobby with our sector to drive law reform and policy change.
About The Role
The Senior Solicitor is a member of the Human Rights Law Program management team who also brings technical expertise in refugee law to the program. The Senior Solicitor will work closely with the Principal solicitor to implement the vision for the Program across all areas of the work being access to justice, casework and activities aimed at achieving systemic change.
The Senior Solicitor will be responsible for supervising the casework of a team of lawyers, leading complex legal matters and participating in systemic change activities which may include strategic litigation, advocacy and policy development and overseeing community legal education. The Senior Solicitor may be expected to supervise or participate in ASRC’s legal clinics.
As an experienced Solicitor committed to the principles of social justice, you will possess the following skillset and attributes:
- Solicitor with current legal practicing certificate and migration agent
- Demonstrated extensive post admission experience
- Registration (or eligible to obtain registration)
- Experience in management and supervisory roles
- Excellent analytical and writing skills
- Exceptional time management skills and demonstrated ability to prioritise tasks in an under-resourced environment
- Ability to work as an effective member and leader of a team of other solicitors, students and/or volunteers
- Demonstrated competence in advocacy before administrative decision makers and/or courts
- Willingness to travel to detention centres or other locations as required
- Experience in working with people from culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) backgrounds
Be a part of the change by working with a leading independent non for profit within the Asylum Seeker and Refugee sector. We recognise and appreciate our incredible staff for their contribution, dedication and passion to support and empower those seeking asylum by providing the following conditions above the award:
- Rostered Days off
- Annual Leave Loading (17.5%) & bonus end-of-year leave
- Complementary cooked lunch provided daily
- Free onsite parking
- Salary Packaging (up to $15k tax free)
- Entertainment Packaging (up to $2k tax free)
- 100 metres from Footscray station and buses
Please find the Position Description here to address the Selection Criteria:
Only applications that addresses the Selection Criteria within a Covering Letter and includes a CV with three professional referees will be considered.
Applications close Thursday 12th December 2019
All offers of employment are subject to a satisfactory Criminal History Check and provision of a valid Working with Children Check prior to commencement SCHADS Award
For further enquiries regarding the role, please contact Veronica Sabo firstname.lastname@example.org or 03 9326 6066.
About the organisation
How to apply
Please quote in application: Senior Solicitor via Pro Bono Australia.