About the role
We are looking for a collaborative leader, a resourceful and diligent lawyer who can manage our Not-for-profit Law program in NSW. This is a pivotal role with responsibility for managing key relationships and service growth in NSW, as well as providing legal advice and education to not-for-profits and advocating on priority reform issues affecting the sector. Working as part of a multi-jurisdictional leadership team, this role also provides an opportunity to shape the strategic direction of Not-for-profit Law as a national service. Role purpose: The Manager, Not-for-profit Law (NSW) leads the Sydney staff to ensure high-quality service delivery. The Manager builds and nurtures key stakeholder relationships in NSW and contributes to the team’s advocacy work and overall strategy. They are a senior staff member of Justice Connect. Key Responsibilities:
- Supervise and provide legal advice on common legal issues faced by for-purpose community groups, including charities, social enterprises, and Aboriginal community-controlled organisations.
- Supervise help-seeker intake, make external referrals and undertake intake and referrals when required.
- Lead and motivate staff and volunteers to achieve a high standard of work, including direct supervision of senior lawyer and lawyers, and indirect supervision of paralegal and NSW-based Practical Legal Training students.
- In conjunction with the Head, lead governance, fundraising, reporting and evaluation requirements for the program and its projects/services as required, and liaise with Justice Connect Board/external funders.
- Develop and maintain collaborative relationships with key stakeholders, in particular law firms, not-for-profit sector peak bodies, Aboriginal community-controlled organisations, current and potential funders, and policy makers.
- In collaboration with other Managers, manage and contribute to the strategic development and delivery of legal services to Australian not-for-profits and social enterprises, with a focus on opportunities in NSW.
- Together with the Principal Lawyer, ensure compliance with high professional standards including professional indemnity insurance and community legal centre accreditation obligations.
- Where required, prepare, deliver and oversee the preparation and delivery of legal information resources, training resources and training sessions (including in regional areas and interstate).
- Undertake legal research and analysis on issues that affect community organisations and the not-for-profit sector as a whole, and contribute to law reform and advocacy activities where appropriate.
- Contribute to program and organisation-wide project.
- Perform other duties as directed and necessary to the proper performance of the role.
- Please view the attached PDF for information regarding the key selection criteria.
About the organisation
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join one of Australia’s most successful public interest and social justice organisations. Justice Connect is a not-for-profit organisation with a vision of a fair and strong community in which people have a fair chance at a better life, the community sector is strong and vibrant, and legal and social systems are fairer and better.
At Justice Connect, we use the law to help people and community groups left behind by an unfair and complicated legal system. Whether it’s a single mother facing homelessness, a local community group struggling with to navigate an overwhelming amount of regulation or an older person dealing with family violence; real-life problems so often have legal solutions. We use the power of the law to open up the legal system for those locked out of it, and to change the system where it is broken.
The key to our impact is the passionate commitment of our people. We hold ourselves to the highest standards, driven by a desire to deliver real improvements in the lives of the people and communities we help.
Justice Connect’s Not-for-profit Law program is a specialist service for not-for-profit community organisations and social enterprises – the only service of its kind in Australia. Not-for-profit Law provides free or low-cost, high-quality practical legal help (advice, training, online resources) and advocates for improved standards and legal frameworks. We also run a certified social enterprise and provide a dedicated service for Local Aboriginal Land Councils in NSW. See www.nfplaw.org.au.
How to apply for this role
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Manager, Not-for-profit Law (NSW) via Pro Bono Australia.