About the role
The role of Senior Policy Officer is to provide high-level systemic research, policy analysis, policy development, representation and advice for PWDA’s cross-organisational work for the Royal Commission into Violence, Abuse, Neglect and Exploitation of People with Disability. This role will include developing and implementing the project plan for our systemic policy and advocacy work for the Royal Commission including preparing submission on issues papers and PWDA’s policy priorities areas. The role will work closely with PWDA staff, PWDA members and the wider disability community to identify and respond to key systemic policy issues for the Royal Commission.
This is a full-time role of 35 hours per week. It will be a maximum term contract role until June 2022, with a possibility of extension, dependent of funding. Award Classification is Level 6 under the Social, Community, Home Care & Disability Services Award 2010. PWDA pays above Award, and the salary on offer is $91,187.46 plus salary packaging and superannuation.
- Demonstrated understanding and commitment to the human rights and interests of people with disability
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of the disability service system as well as systemic drivers of violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Demonstrated high level skills in policy analysis and development, including experience in submission and report writing
- Demonstrated high level consultation and networking skills
- Demonstrated high level strategic and negotiation skills
- Demonstrated skills in project management including skills in managing support staff, resources, budgets, reporting and contractual arrangements
- Excellent capacity to manage timeframes and competing priorities
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team environment
- Demonstrated high level skills in seeking project funding
- Demonstrated experience in cultural competency
- Computer literacy in a Windows PC environment
- Personal or family experience of disability
- Degree in social sciences or related discipline
- Ability to travel throughout Australia and internationally
Please note that we are also advertising a part time Senior Policy Officer role. Full details and the Position Descriptions are on the PWDA Employment page at pwd.org.au/about-us/employment.
PWDA is a proud employer of people with disability, and people with disability are strongly encouraged to apply for these positions. We are an EEO employer and we embrace the diversity of our people, such as diversity in disability, race, cultural background, ethnicity, age, gender identity, sexual orientation or intersex status.
About the organisation
People with Disability Australia (PWDA) is a national disability rights organisation. Its membership is made up of people with disability and organisations primarily constituted by people with disability. PWDA was founded in 1981, the International Year of Disabled Persons, to provide people with disability with a voice of our own. PWDA has a cross disability focus – we represent the interests of people with all kinds of disability. PWDA is a non-profit, non-government organisation. We employ over 40 staff with 30% working in regional areas.
How to apply for this role
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Senior Policy Officer - Full Time via Pro Bono Australia.