About the role
About the role:
The position supports the delivery of the Darebin Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Employment Strategy and Action Plan. The major objective of the position is to aim increase career pathways, helping to continue to make Darebin Council a culturally safe workplace, which is an employer of choice for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
The position works collaboratively with the Aboriginal Partnerships Officer, other parts of Council and a range of external partners to identify and deliver projects and initiatives guided by Council’s Statement of Commitment to Traditional Owners and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
To be successful, you will need to be able to demonstrate:
- Experience in community engagement and an understanding of issues affecting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, particularly regarding barriers to employment.
- Experience in project management, with projects working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community and organisations preferred.
- Excellent ability to build and maintain relationships and partnerships with the Darebin Aboriginal Advisory Committee, Traditional Owner groups and Aboriginal community organisations.
- Empathy and cultural awareness – demonstrated ability to build trust and rapport with diverse community groups.
Only Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people are eligible to apply for this position. This action constitutes a special measure under section 12 of the Equal Opportunity Act 2010 (Vic).
Shortlisted applicants are welcome to bring a support person to their interview and receive copies of the interview questions prior to the interview.
Benefits of joining:
- Monthly RDO and flexible working options and arrangements available i.e. part time, job share.
- Cultural leave provisions.
- Receive job security as a permanent member of local council.
- Salary sacrifice options available.
- Training and professional development opportunities.
- Annual incremental salary increases.
- Opportunities for secondments and promotions within Darebin Council.
- Walking distance from Preston train station and tram stops.
- Onsite car parking available.
- Social activities and social club as a member of the Darebin Council.
- Comprehensive health and wellbeing program, including free access to physio, yoga and fitness classes.
- Provided with laptop and mobile phone.
- Green travel incentives
- Access to fleet vehicles for work purposes.
Applications close Tuesday, 28 January 2020 at 12pm AEDT.
About the organisation
Located in the northern suburbs of Melbourne, covering an area of around 53 square kilometres of land and encompassing the areas of Bundoora, Kingsbury and Macleod, Fairfield and Alphington, Northcote, Preston, Reservoir, Coburg and Thornbury, the City of Darebin has a population of 161,609 (2018 ERP). The city has one of the largest populations of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander residents in metropolitan Melbourne and is home to one of the largest, most diverse communities anywhere in the State in terms of cultures (close to 33 per cent were born overseas), language (138 languages are spoken), religions, gender, age, abilities, socio-economic background, employment status, occupation, and housing needs.
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Aboriginal Employment and Programs Officer via Pro Bono Australia.