About the role
As a member and chair of the organisational leadership team, this pivotal role is responsible for all areas of finance, financial planning, accounting and treasury as well the core information technology and human resources functions. The COO has a central role in leading the organisation as it embarks on a period of growth and expansion. This position also has lead responsibility for communication with and support of the Board of Directors.
In addition to the day-to-day management of the key infrastructure functions, this position will have a central role in strategic planning and thinking for the organisation. Animals Asia is about to embark on its biggest challenge ever—to double its income base over the next 5 years so that it can expand its operations in both China and Vietnam. This challenge will require strategic management and coordination with the Global Director of Fundraising and Communications.
The organisation has highly experienced and dedicated staff members throughout. We need a strong manager who can work well in a collegial and culturally diverse setting during a time of challenge as we grow the organisation.
The COO reports directly to the CEO. S/he is responsible for managing the following functions: finance, administration, human resources and information technology. This position chairs the Leadership Team, which manages and coordinates activities across the entire organisation. The COO is responsible for the coordination and integration of the programmes and projects of the various departments under the umbrella of the strategic plan which s/he coordinates. This position is based in the Foundation’s head office in Hong Kong.
The successful candidate will have a thorough understanding of finance, information systems, and HR; broad experience with the full range of business functions and systems, including strategic development and planning, team management, budgeting, analysis, finance, information technology, and human resources.
The successful candidate will demonstrate evidence of the ability to consistently make good decisions through a combination of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment; the ability to think and plan strategically on highly complex issues; the ability to balance the delivery of programmes against the realities of a budget. S/he also will demonstrate excellent skills in problem solving, project management, and coordination of the work of multiple divisions towards a shared mission and goals.
This is an outstanding opportunity for a highly motivated and experienced individual to assume a pivotal role in a growing organisation that is making a difference for animals in China, Hong Kong SAR, Vietnam and other parts of Asia.
The successful candidate will have a bachelor’s degree and 10 years of progressively responsible management experience. Some experience in a public benefit organization is preferred (NGO, non-profit or government).
- Manages the Finance Team, which is responsible for financial planning, budgeting, cash flow, investment priorities, and financial policy matters.
- Maintains and implements an appropriate system of policies, internal controls, accounting standards, and procedures.
- Develops and maintains sound financial practices that comply with relevant laws and regulations.
- Plans, coordinates, and executes the annual budgeting process and ensures actual results are reported expediently.
- Manages the Information Technology team.
- Analyse the current technology infrastructure and scope out the next level of information technology and financial systems that support the growth of specific programmes and the organisation overall.
- Manages the Human Resources team.
- Upgrade Human Resources functions including: training, development, compensation and benefits, employee relations, performance evaluation and staff.
- Serves as the management liaison to the board of directors and keeps the board updated on high-level matters related to finance and internal operations.
- Contributes to the development of Animals Asia’s strategic goals and objectives as well as to the overall leadership and management of the organisation.
- Coordinates the development of the Strategic Plan and ensures that Animals Asia is adhering to this plan, delivering regular status reports to the board.
- Maintains continuous lines of communication with other members of the Leadership Team and keeps the CEO informed of all-important issues.
- Oversees head office administration and day-to-day operations.
- Represents the organisation externally, as necessary.
- Promotes a collegial work environment that respects and values diversity.
- Promotes an organisational culture that fosters passion for the mission, cooperation, open communication, teamwork, learning and a commitment to quality.
- Ensures staff members receive timely and appropriate training and development.
Mentors and develops staff using a supportive and collaborative approach: assigns accountabilities; sets objectives; establish priorities; and monitors and evaluates results.
- Bachelor’s degree. Applicants with a Master’s level degree are preferred.
- 10 years of progressively responsible management experience which includes supervision of finance, accounting, information technology and human resource functions.
- Preferably 2 years living, working or consulting in Asia.
- Good familiarity with Asian cultural and political climates, particularly in China and Vietnam.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills in English, both verbal and written, with the ability to communicate with internal and external stakeholders from varied cultural backgrounds.
- Proven leadership abilities in a dispersed global organisation.
- Fluency in Mandarin and/or Cantonese is advantageous.
- Proficiency with computers and skill in the use of a range of software applications.
- Interest and commitment to the protection of animals is highly desired.
About the organisation
Animals Asia is an international animal charity based in Hong Kong with operations in China, Vietnam, Australia, USA, UK and Europe. It is devoted to ending the barbaric practice of bear bile farming and improving the welfare of animals in China and Vietnam. It promotes compassion and respect for all animals and works to bring about long-term change.
How to apply for this role
Please send BY EMAIL ONLY a letter of application stating the skills and approach that you would bring to the post with your CV/resume (no photos) in strict confidence by email only to: Karem Armstrong at email@example.com
Please ensure that they are sent as Word or PDF documents with the titles “your name cover letter” and “your name CV”. Please put “AnimalsAsia COO” in the email subject line.
The deadline for applications is Sunday February 2nd, 2020
Please quote in application: Chief Operating Officer via Pro Bono Australia.