About the role
- Permanent, Full-Time position in local government at Darebin City Council
- Deliver our Gender Equity & Preventing Violence Against Women Action Plan
- Based 5-min walk from Preston train station with access to onsite parking
tilise your experience in gender equity and the primary prevention of violence against women to provide community wellbeing and social justice outcomes for Darebin’s diverse communities.
About the role:
Due to an internal promotion, a rare opportunity to join Council as a Gender Equity Officer has arisen. You will work within the Equity and Diversity team to ensure Council’s policies, services and programs promote gender equity and enable the full and equal participation of women.
The role requires you to work across the whole of Council, neighbouring Councils, other tiers of government and the community. You will coordinate the delivery of the Gender Equity and Preventing Violence Against Women (PVAW) Action Plan. The position includes designing, implementing and evaluating best practice strategies to promote gender equity and proactively prevent violence against women and their children.
To be successful, you are required to demonstrate your skills and experience in:
- Gender equity and the primary prevention of violence against women in the context of local government.
- Applying best practise gender equity and Prevention of Violence Against Women (PVAW) principles to a variety of settings and contexts.
- Working in a large organisation, developing cross functional working relationships to gain cooperation of colleagues and community organisations.
- Providing a strong and high level of customer focus and stakeholder management capabilities.
Benefits of joining:
- Training and professional development opportunities.
- Cultural, parental and other leave provisions.
- Salary sacrifice options available.
- Walking distance from Preston train station and tram stops.
- Social activities and social club as a member of the Darebin Council.
- Comprehensive health and wellbeing program, including free access to physio, yoga and fitness classes.
- Provided with laptop and mobile phone.
- Green travel incentives.
For specific questions regarding the position contact Mandy Bathgate, Coordinator Equity and Diversity on 03 8470 8365.
Applications close Monday 3 February 2020 at 12pm.
The City of Darebin is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organisation, or other non-merit factors. Darebin are committed to providing a safe working environment that embraces and values child safety, and thorough ‘Safety Screening’ processes apply.
About the organisation
Located in the northern suburbs of Melbourne, covering an area of around 53 square kilometres of land and encompassing the areas of Bundoora, Kingsbury and Macleod, Fairfield and Alphington, Northcote, Preston, Reservoir, Coburg and Thornbury, the City of Darebin has a population of 161,609 (2018 ERP). The city has one of the largest populations of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander residents in metropolitan Melbourne and is home to one of the largest, most diverse communities anywhere in the State in terms of cultures (close to 33 per cent were born overseas), language (138 languages are spoken), religions, gender, age, abilities, socio-economic background, employment status, occupation, and housing needs. .One in five Darebin residents is affected by a disability, and almost one-third of these residents require assistance with daily living. About 6 per cent of the population 16 years and over, identify as bisexual, gay or lesbian.
Council has a clear commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion in all that it does. We acknowledge the role that a workforce reflective of the community plays in delivering services and programs; we recognise that in order to meet the needs of the diverse community we serve, we need a diverse workforce with special knowledge and skills. This means that a high quality workforce, skilled in diversity, equity and inclusion principles and practice, is central for Council to deliver responsive, accessible, equitable and inclusive services across the municipality.
How to apply for this role
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Gender Equity Officer via Pro Bono Australia.