About the role
We are looking to appoint a Head of Marketing to develop and implement effective marketing strategies that will maximise fundraising revenue by building awareness of The School of St Jude, attracting new supporters and retaining existing supporters. The ideal candidate will have a passion for community development and a strong interest in NGOs.
- Develop an annual marketing strategy for online marketing and traditional communication channels.
- Develop annual work program timeline with deadlines for key marketing initiatives such as feature marketing campaigns, social media and newsletters.
- Devise implementation plans for regular and feature marketing campaigns such as appeals and special events.
- Conduct market segmentation research and analysis to ensure a comprehensive understanding of current and potential target markets.
- Manage workflow of team members to ensure adherence to annual work program timeline and deadlines.
- Ensure consistent application of the school’s Branding Guidelines and Writing Style Guide by business and school administration teams, supporters, Friends of St Jude’s charities, third parties and payment platforms.
- Apply editorial policy, including development and revision of key messages, for all marketing communications and provide advice to other departments about its application.
- Develop and write compelling print and digital communications materials including reports, brochures, fact sheets, case studies, newsletter articles, social media posts, videos and podcasts for a wide variety of channels including print, TV, radio and online.
- Oversee the creative development of communications materials, website content, advertisements, and other marketing-related projects.
- Publish and/or distribute communications materials to target audiences via online marketing and traditional communication channels.
- Prepare and monitor department budget and resources.
- Work with business and academic teams in accordance with approved communications and authority protocols.
- Ensure data entered into the CRM database and other data recording systems is accurate and up-to-date.
- Strive to continually improve the usability, design, content and conversion of digital communication tools.
- Maintain marketing distribution lists, in particular the newsletter list, to ensure data is accurate and up-to-date.
- Maintain awareness of security procedures in regard to storing, recording and transferring data in accordance with St Jude’s privacy and child protection policies.
- Manage team training and development including to:
- Ensure sufficient staff trained to cover roles during absences.
- Identify training needs and actively encouraging International and Tanzanian staff to develop their skills and levels of responsibility.
- Facilitate problem solving and collaboration within the team.
- Conduct weekly team meetings.
- Conduct staff appraisals.
In consultation with the Communications and Supporter Development Manager and the Founder:
- Devise and implement feature marketing campaigns and the production of associated collateral.
- Develop and produce communications materials for promotional tours, fundraising and speaking events in Australia and other countries.
- Liaise with the Australian Events Coordinator and FSJ charities to coordinate the production of communications materials.
- Develop, produce and publish annual reports and other governance reports.
- Devise and implement production and distribution plans for annual newsletters (international and local community newsletters) and online communications such as social media and podcasts.
In consultation with the Communications and Supporter Development Manager:
- Maintain St Jude’s and EAF website to ensure currency of content and optimisation and interface with CRM database.
- Develop and maintain marketing and fundraising resources and branded collateral such as presentations, fundraising and speaking kits.
- Provide marketing support to other business and academic departments.
- Attend and contribute to strategy and management team meetings and implement relevant actions.
Monitoring and Review
- Generate monthly and quarterly management reports including outputs and outcomes (results) in line with department KPIs.
- Monitor budgets and report progress to C&SD Manager.
- Conduct monthly audit of all photography/videography-related equipment in accordance with the IT/photography equipment responsibility agreement.
- Monitor, review and update strategies, plans, processes and procedures as required, and at least annually in October.
- Support the values, vision, mission and strategic goals of The School of St Jude.
- Periodically suggest improvements to the departments’ procedures and submit to supervisor for approval.
- Participate in House Checks as requested by Community Relations team.
- Participate and support fellow staff in school mission related activities such as all School Celebration Days throughout the year.
- Participate in student selection process, in particular working after hours on rest days and public holidays up to 20 Saturdays per annum.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by Manager and Founder.
Skills and Required Experience
- Degree in marketing or communications.
- Experience in fundraising or not-for profit marketing roles viewed favourably.
- Demonstrated high level English verbal, written and visual communication skills including ability to create compelling communications materials.
- Demonstrated ability to manage competing priorities and meet critical deadlines to achieve KPIs and adhere to budgets.
- Demonstrated ability to provide mentoring and training for colleagues.
- Ability to work collaboratively with International and Tanzanian staff to achieve the best possible outcomes.
- Good computer skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and databases).
Attributes you need to be a successful St Jude’s staff member
- Be flexible, open-minded, and tolerant and appreciate the complexities of working in a rapidly growing charity in a developing country.
- Have a passion for our mission and a strong desire to make a positive difference performing a variety of tasks; from the mundane to the fun and interesting!
- Energetic, consistent and dedicated personality.
- Work well independently and as part of a team of Tanzanian staff and international volunteers.
- Have good emotional and physical health and the energy and drive to take on new challenges.
What we can offer you
- A local wage that will allow you to live comfortably in Arusha – a vibrant gateway to Tanzania’s world-famous national parks.
- International Employees Benefits Package including: house benefit allowance and access to furnished on-campus accommodation (WiFi included); plus contract completion bonuses.
- Mid-morning tea & lunch (during working days)
- Opportunities for career development.
- Welcoming community of international and local employees.
- 28 days annual leave plus Christmas leave bonus available.
About the organisation
The School of St Jude is an education institution, entirely funded by charitable donations, that provides free, high-quality primary and secondary scholarships to 1,800 of the poorest and brightest students in the Tanzanian region of Arusha and supports hundreds of graduates through higher education.
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Head of Marketing via Pro Bono Australia.