About the role
- Armidale Location
- Excellent opportunity to use your Kurdish Kurmanji language skills
- SSI’s FutureAbility Project has been funded by the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA)
ABOUT THE PROJECT
SSI’s FutureAbility Project has been funded by the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) to deliver in-language information about disability and the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) via a series of Community Education Sessions. These sessions are designed to target people from ” Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CALD) communities and will be held in various locations across Sydney metro areas and NSW.
The sessions will offer an opportunity to enhance the community participation and quality of life of people with disabilities from CALD backgrounds, so they are more likely to seek out help and live more inclusive and enjoyable lives in their community.
The Community Education Sessions will provide CALD communities with much needed in-language information around disability types, how to access the NDIS, and supports available through the scheme.
- Becoming familiar and fluent with the content of the module provided on disability and the NDIS
- Present information on disability and the NDIS in Kurdish to approximately 25-30 people via a two hour power point presentation (developed and provided by the FutureAbility Project).
- Assist with evaluation process and initiating a Q&A at the end of the session, as well as assisting with event promotion and responding to RSVPs.
- Apply adult learning techniques in the delivery of the sessions
- Assist your community to access disability supports and the NDIS, to increase their help-seeking behaviours
- Engage with your community to promote the sessions using various methods and mediums
Full training on disability and the NDIS will be provided to the successful candidate, as well as support during the sessions. There will also be half-day Kurdish Kurmanji Community Education Session held from Feb to May.
- Ability to read and write fluently in Kurdish Kurmanji
- Medium level Microsoft Office / Power Point experience.
- Driving licence is required.
- Prior experience in presenting to groups is desired but not essential.
Please respond to the “Selection Criteria” section in your cover letter and complete attached expression of interest form.
WHAT WE OFFER
We offer the opportunity to engage in meaningful work that makes a real difference to the lives of our clients, their families, carers, and communities.
We have a fantastic benefits package that promotes work/life balance; something we are very passionate about! This includes generous salary packaging options so you can increase your take home pay!
SSI is passionate about social justice and diversity and is committed to being an EEO employer. We embrace diversity in our workforce and encourage applications from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, including those from Aboriginal, Torres Strait Island heritage and people with lived experience of disability.
We strongly believe in protecting the safety and wellbeing of children and vulnerable communities and take child protection very seriously. All employees will undergo a National Police Clearance and a Working with Children Check as a condition of employment.
About the organisation
We acknowledge the traditional custodians of these lands and waters and we welcome the opportunity to learn more about Aboriginal people of Australia. We value relationships with our local Aboriginal community and appreciate applications from its members.
SSI is a community organisation and social business that supports newcomers and other Australians to achieve their full potential. We work with people with a refugee and asylum-seeking background, culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) communities, people with disability, youth and children and more to build capacity and enable them to overcome inequality.
SSI draws on its expertise and experience to advocate for the people and communities it serves. Through the work we do, we empower people to change their lives. Through our advocacy and representation, we influence ideas and policy.
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Kurdish Kurmanji Community Education Session Facilitator via Pro Bono Australia.