About the role
Not-for-profit Law’s Paralegal and Legal Administrator provides paralegal and administrative support to the Not-for-profit Law team. Working in a collaborative cross-jurisdictional team, the Paralegal and Legal Administrator plays a key role in ensuring high-quality, efficient and timely legal services for not-for-profit community groups and social enterprises.
The Paralegal and Legal Administrator role supports the Not-for-profit Law team to deliver support for not-for-profit organisations across Australia. Key responsibilities of the role include:
- managing initial telephone, email and online enquiries from not-for-profit organisations;
- overseeing the intake process to ensure that enquiries are dealt with efficiently and effectively;
- taking comprehensive and clear instructions from help-seekers and making preliminary eligibility assessments;
- providing help-seekers with the outcome of an eligibility assessment and administering client files (opening, closing, periodic checks, evaluation);
- providing legal information to help-seekers, where appropriate;
- assisting with recruitment, induction, training and support of practical legal training placement students (PLTs);
- training and assisting staff, PLTs, volunteers and secondees in client intake processes and procedures;
- assisting lawyers with legal research and drafting correspondence, including reviewing correspondence drafted by PLTs;
- escalating risk and legal practice management issues to the Principal Lawyer or Manager
- administration duties (e.g. scheduling meetings, intake rosters, setting up systems, procedures);
- inputting, monitoring and maintaining Not-for-profit Law’s databases and ensuring data is complete and clean;
- drafting and compiling client stories and obtaining client consent to their use;
- preparation and collation of reports, templates and acquittals as required internally and under with funding agreements, including regular data tracking against reporting and funding KPIs;
- assisting with Not-for-profit Law publications, such as the monthly update and law reform submissions;
- contributing to program and organisation-wide projects
- other ad hoc tasks as required for the benefit of the team.
- Please view the attached PDF for further information regarding the selection criteria
About the organisation
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join one of Australia’s most successful public interest and social justice organisations. Justice Connect is a not-for-profit organisation with a vision of a fair and strong community in which people have a fair chance at a better life, the community sector is strong and vibrant and the legal/justice and non-legal social systems are fairer and better.
At Justice Connect, we believe everyone deserves a fair chance at a better life. Too often, our legal system is complicated, expensive and inaccessible. And when the system doesn’t work for everyone, it works for no one. It holds our community back. That’s why we use the law to help people and community groups left behind by an unfair and complicated legal system. Whether it’s a single mother facing homelessness, a local community group struggling with overwhelming regulation or an older person dealing with family violence, real-life problems so often have legal solutions. That’s why we connect people with legal help. We use the power of the law to open up the legal system for those locked out of it, and to change the system where it is broken.
The key to our impact is the passionate commitment of our people. We hold ourselves to the highest standards, driven by a desire to deliver real improvements in the lives of the people and communities we help.
Justice Connect operates a range of different programs. The Not-for-profit Law program provides free and low cost legal assistance to not-for-profit organisations and social enterprises. Not-for-profit Law ‘helps the helpers' by providing tailored legal information, advice, pro bono referrals to member law firms, and training. By relieving the burden of legal issues, these organisations can better focus their time and energy on achieving their mission - whether that's supporting vulnerable people, delivering community services, enhancing diversity or bringing together the community.
We are seeking a Paralegal & Legal Administrator to support the Not-for-profit Law team. The role will contribute to Not-for-profit Law’s ability to reach out to people and provide them with targeted legal help, and to ‘help the helpers’ by giving charities and not-for-profits the tools to get on with the job of building stronger communities. Specifically, the role supports the effective and efficient management of Not-for-profit Law’s services (with a focus on the intake and triaging of enquiries), and the timely and accurate collection and analysis of data to help demonstrate the impact of the work undertaken by Not-for-profit Law.
How to apply for this role
The application process is as follows:
- Applications should be addressed to Amy Williams, Senior Lawyer, Not-for-profit Law and should comprise a cover letter, your resume, and a succinct statement outlining your suitability for the role with reference to the selection criteria
- Applications should be emailed to email@example.com as a single word or PDF file including “Paralegal and Legal Administrator, Not-for-profit Law via Pro Bono Australia” in the email subject line.
- Applications close at 5:30pm on Thursday 30th January 2020.
Please quote in application: Paralegal and Legal Administrator, Not-for-profit Law via Pro Bono Australia.