About the role
The Principal Lawyer will supervise the legal practice of Justice Connect’s Not-for-profit Law program to deliver high quality legal services to not-for-profit community organisations and social enterprises.
- Supervise Not-for-profit Law’s legal practice, including:
-Oversee the intake of enquiries from community organisations (including assessments of eligibility) and where appropriate referral to pro bono member firms
– Provide (and supervising the provision of) legal advice and information to community organisations on a range of legal issues
-Overarching responsibility for client advice files, particularly in relation to quality control and legal accuracy
-Contribute to the development and delivery of training, both in person and via webinar
-Reviewing information resources for legal accuracy and sign-off
- Lead, motivate and develop staff, including lawyers, Practical Legal Training students, secondees, and other volunteers
- Contribute to legal practice management and coordination across Justice Connect, including as Not-for-profit Law’s representative on the Practice Management Group
- Identify and pursue strategic opportunities for legal service delivery that further the aims and objectives of Justice Connect and Not-for-profit Law
- Undertake legal research and analysis on issues that affect not-for-profit organisations and contribute to law reform and advocacy activities
- Actively participate in the promotion of Not-for-profit Law activities, including representing Not-for-profit Law in a range of public forums, media and by contributing to internal and external publications
- Develop and maintain collaborative relationships with key stakeholders, including Justice Connect member law firms, peak not-for-profit community organisations and regulators
- Contribute to Not-for-profit Law’s work to provide information and training to pro bono lawyers and other professional advisors
- In collaboration with the Heads and Managers of Not-for-profit Law, assist with the governance, reporting and evaluation requirements of Not-for-profit Law, including reports for the Justice Connect Board and funders
- Perform other duties as directed and necessary to the proper performance of the role.
- Please view attached PDF for further information regarding selection criteria
About the organisation
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join one of Australia’s most successful public interest and social justice organisations. Justice Connect is a not-for-profit organisation with a vision of a fair and strong community in which people have a fair chance at a better life, the community sector is strong and vibrant and the legal/justice and non-legal social systems are fairer and better.
At Justice Connect, we believe everyone deserves a fair chance at a better life. Too often, our legal system is complicated, expensive and inaccessible. And when the system doesn’t work for everyone, it works for no one. It holds our community back. That’s why we use the law to help people and community groups left behind by an unfair and complicated legal system. Whether it’s a single mother facing homelessness, a local community group struggling with overwhelming regulation or an older person dealing with family violence, real-life problems so often have legal solutions. That’s why we connect people with legal help. We use the power of the law to open up the legal system for those locked out of it, and to change the system where it is broken.
The key to our impact is the passionate commitment of our people. We hold ourselves to the highest standards, driven by a desire to deliver real improvements in the lives of the people and communities we help.
Justice Connect’s Not-for-profit Law program is a specialist service for not-for-profit community organisations and social enterprises – the only service of its kind in Australia. Not-for-profit Law has offices in Melbourne and Sydney from which we provide free or low-cost, high-quality practical legal help (advice, pro bono referrals, training, online resources) and advocate for improved standards and legal frameworks. We also run a certified legal training social enterprise and provide a dedicated service for Local Aboriginal Land Councils in NSW.
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Principal Lawyer, Not-for-profit Law via Pro Bono Australia.