About the role
The role of the Chief Financial Officer is to ensure the smooth operation of the organisation’s physical offices, sound financial management practices, including preparation of financial records for the annual audit and liaison on behalf of the CEO with staff and other stakeholders as required. Oversight of ABV legal and compliance activities as well as our IT are also duties of the CFO.
AUTONOMY OF THE POSITION
The role requires the position holder to be self-motivated, professional and able to prioritise and manage the role with minimal day-to-day supervision.
The Chief Financial Officer is required to:
- Assist in formulating the company’s future direction and supporting tactical initiatives
- Monitor and direct the implementation of strategic business plans
- Develop financial and tax strategies
- Manage the capital request and budgeting processes
- Develop performance measures and monitoring systems that support the company’s strategic direction
- Participate in key decisions as a member of the executive management team
- Maintain in-depth relations with all members of the management team
- Manage the accounting, human resources, investor relations, legal, tax, and treasury departments
- Oversee the financial operations of foreign operations
- Manage any third parties to which accounting or finance functions have been outsourced
- Oversee the company’s transaction processing systems
- Implement operational best practices
- Oversee employee benefit plans
- Supervise acquisition, due diligence and negotiate acquisitions
- Oversee the issuance of financial information
- Personally review and approve all ASIC, ATO and ACNC filings
- Report financial results to the Board of Directors
- Understand and mitigate key elements of the company’s risk profile
- Monitor all open legal issues involving the company, and legal issues affecting the industry
- Construct and monitor reliable control systems
- Maintain appropriate insurance coverage
- Ensure that the company complies with all legal and regulatory requirements
- Ensure that record keeping meets the requirements of auditors and government agencies
- Report risk issues to the finance committee of the board of directors
- Maintain relations with external auditors and investigate their findings and recommendations
- Monitor cash balances and cash forecasts
- Invest funds
- Maintain banking relationships
- Represent the company with bankers and investors
The position holder is a person of utmost integrity and ability. The necessary skills are:
- tertiary bookkeeping or accountancy qualifications
- demonstrated financial management experience
- demonstrated ability to work to deadlines
- excellent oral and written communication skills
- high level negotiation and advocacy skills.
- all staff
- Board members
- ATO, ASIC, ACNC, ACFID, IPA and others as required.
MEASURE OF RESULTS
A probation period of six months applies to ongoing positions. Towards the end of the first six months following the successful applicant’s appointment, a formal performance appraisal will be conducted in accordance with ABV’s policies and procedures. Performance measures will include assessment of:
- ability to carry out the assigned duties efficiently and in a timely manner
- ability to demonstrate initiative in undertaking the prescribed duties and ad hoc requests of the CEO
- ability to work as part of a team in a busy environment
- ability to demonstrate excellent organisational, administrative skill and negotiation skills.
The position of Chief Financial Officer requires:
- the ability to manage staff to comply with deadlines
- the ability to work autonomously
- the ability to undertake the duties of the position effectively with minimal supervision
- the ability to maintain transparent communication with key staff
the ability to identify problems and solutions to them.
About the organisation
Australian Business Volunteers (ABV) is a not-for-profit organisation committed to support business enterprises in developing countries by providing specialised expertise and knowledge. Our programs are based on collaboration with partners to create effective development programs which are customised, needs-based and community-driven. ABV’s vision is to alleviate poverty through economic growth.
How to apply for this role
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Chief Financial Officer / CFO via Pro Bono Australia.