About the role
Please note: Autistic and neurodiverse candidates are encouraged to apply. You do not require a CV to apply for this role. There is no mandatory qualification required for this role.
Description of the role:
The Specialisterne Consultant is responsible for on the ground delivery and facilitation of Specialisterne’s program activities including candidate sourcing, assessment and employment preparation support work for adults on the autism spectrum. Specialisterne Consultants also provide coaching and support for candidates and their workplace supervisors/coaches post placement.
Specialisterne Consultant key duties and responsibilities:
- Setting up and preparing program or project establishment. This involves stakeholder meetings, scoping project activities, preparing project documents, and using our online project management software.
- Managing a targeted recruitment campaign to attract candidates on the autism spectrum. This includes writing targeted job ads, promoting job opportunities through our social media including FB live, sharing information through our autism networks, and answering candidate enquiries.
- Business to business client facing activities to engage and prepare employers and key stakeholders for each program or activity. This involves regular meetings with our clients, keeping accurate notes, following-up on actions, and maintaining regular communication.
- Facilitating pre-selection and selection of candidates. This involves assessing and ranking candidates against set criteria, pre-screening candidates via face-to-face sessions, and communicating with candidates about the process.
- Delivering Training and Assessment programs for selected candidates. This involves all aspects of delivery of the 4-week program covering a variety of content designed to assist in observing the strengths, talents and passions of candidates and their suitability for job roles.
- Candidate facing activities such as preparing and transitioning individuals into the work environment. This involves preparing successful candidates for employment by co-designing employee support plans and delivering training about workplace expectations.
- Capacity building activities including training of managers, supervisors and co-workers and advice on workplace adjustments. This includes training managers in the specific accommodations required for their new staff member/s and helping managers to plan continued supports.
- Establishment (and where required facilitation) of support structures to retain candidates in the job. This involves supporting the employer to manage their neurodiverse staff member/s through training and coaching, and enabling them to identify other suitable supports.
What the work environment is like:
This role will require you to work in different locations, on-site with various employers. You must be comfortable to travel to various worksites around Sydney. Occasionally there may be some interstate travel required for a period of up to 6 weeks, however, where possible staff will support activities in their nominated state or territory.
Key skills we are looking for:
- Ability to deliver face-to-face training and assessment programs for neurodiverse adults.
- Ability to design curriculum and content specific to clients and neurodiverse candidates.
- Ability to coach and mentor autistic employees as they transition into the workplace.
- Ability to coach and support managers and team leaders to better understand, communicate and manage their autistic employees.
- An understanding of autism and how this impacts people in the workplace.
Personal attributes we are looking for:
- Well-organised – You will have strong organisational skills with the ability to plan ahead what needs to be done and can manage your time efficiently.
- Self-directed – You will be able to take initiative to determine what needs to be done and undertake tasks with minimal supervision.
- Problem-solver – You will have an approach to solving problems that is about coming up with innovative solutions that benefit everyone.
- Collaborator – You will enjoy working as part of a team and be open to contributing your ideas and listening to and learning from others.
- Flexible – Ideally you will be comfortable with being flexible to the changing needs of employers and candidates and be happy to change direction when required.
Qualifications you may have:
Qualifications in any of these disciplines will be highly regarded but are not an essential requirement of this role: Education, Training and Assessment, Autism-specific, Psychology, Disability.
About the organisation
Specialisterne Australia is a not for profit social impact enterprise established in 2015 as a branch of the global Specialisterne Foundation. SCA has a goal to create 12,000 job opportunities for autistic individuals by 2030.
In 2015 the unemployment rate for people with autism spectrum disorders in Australia was 31.6%, more than three times the rate for people with disability (10.0%) and almost six times the rate of people without disability (5.3%).
Our approach to achieving our goal of 12,000 jobs for people with autism involves:
Creating connections – Building and creating linkages, pipelines and connections between autistic individuals and potential employers;
Capacity Building – Building the capacity and understanding of employers and businesses to recognise and engage the skills and talents of autistic individuals, as well as assisting autistic individuals to identify their skills and talents and prepare them for roles within the workplace. We also foster support capacity building to organisations that provide assistance to autistic individuals seeking employment;
Measuring Impact - Measure Specialisterne’s impact: analysing existing data, models and approaches; developing evidence base; measuring efficacy of programs and innovations.
Policy Influence - Establishing our goal and the issue for adults with autism facing employment barriers as a priority with government and industry; shaping decision makers thinking and legislation; supporting industry guidelines to further grow the employment market for autistic talent;
Innovation - Testing new approaches, filling market gaps and designing practical solutions for autistic talent to secure meaningful employment and for employers to pursue and secure autistic talent.
Specialisterne offers a range of sourcing, assessment and recruitment programs as a fee for service option to business employers looking to diversify their workforce and develop their capacity to support neurodiverse employees. Specialisterne also actively pursues grants to engage in other project work to support autistic individuals to identify and harness their talents and connect with potential employers.
The Specialisterne’s tailored assessment program process consists of individual assessment of candidate’s motivation, workability, professionalism, shared and specialist skills according to Specialisterne’s Competence Model. The purpose of these assessment programs and activities is to establish individual and team comfort zones and match these with the work zone to make the best possible fit between the job and the individual.
How to apply for this role
- Complete the online application at the following link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/specialisterneconsultantapplication
- Upload any documents you feel express your skills, experience and/or qualifications related to this role. This may include a CV, but it can be any type of document/s (this is part of the application process).
- Shortlisted applicants will have a 30-minute phone conversation with Specialisterne staff where you will have the opportunity to ask further questions about the role.
- Applicants who are shortlisted to the next round will attend a one-hour, face-to-face interactive session with Specialisterne staff.
- An offer of employment will be made to the successful applicant by 14 February 2020.
- The role is to commence late February/early March 2020.
For further information:
Contact Angela Bueti, Program Manager Qld, NSW and NT, phone 0434 828 899 or email email@example.com
Please quote in application: Specialisterne Consultant via Pro Bono Australia.