About the role
Youth Development Officer
- Empower our Indigenous young people to thrive
- Permanent full-time or flexible hours, Werribee-based
- Salary from $72,984.38 plus super and fortnightly RDO
“This role is identified as available for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander applicants only. Confirmation of the Indigenous status of applicants may be requested.”
We are Wyndham, home to one of the largest, fastest growing and most diverse Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities in Melbourne.
Our people are hard at work designing the precincts, building the infrastructure, developing the policies and delivering the programs that will ensure the City is prepared to welcome over 200,000 new residents by 2040.
Shape new possibilities. Be part of something more. Be prepared to be challenged.
About the role
This exciting and diverse role will see you planning, facilitating, implementing and evaluating programs, projects and services to support young indigenous people in Wyndham.
You will foster positive relationships with the Indigenous youth in Wyndham, your primary focus will be to engage young Indigenous people and help them to connect to the Wyndham community. You will strive to enable and empower young indigenous people to positive outcomes in the Wyndham community.
This is position is re-advertised. Previous applicants need not apply.
You will deliver:
- Direct support to young people from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander backgrounds, building the capacity of young people to participate, connect with and contribute to their community.
- Develop programs that are appropriate for young people and that connect them to their community, enabling them to participate, grow and increase their access to opportunities.
- Communicate and partner with relevant indigenous organisations, Elders, communities and networks to strengthen cultural identity, community connections and access to services for young people.
- Continue to build the connections and partnerships with local schools, community centres and relevant community agencies.
- Outstanding reports and documentation including workplans, program proposals, risk assessments, evaluation, research and consultation findings.
You will bring:
- Extensive knowledge of issues impacting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander young people and a demonstrated capacity to design and deliver contemporary approaches to meeting these complex needs.
- High level interpersonal skills and effective communication (verbal and written) skills to engage with a broad range of stakeholders.
- Degree qualification in Youth Work, Community Development, Social Work or a related discipline and relevant experience in the generalist youth sector.
- Practical working knowledge of youth work informed by Indigenous respectful practice, connection to community and strength-based principles.
- Experience in developing, supporting and maintaining strategic partnerships and stakeholder relationships.
- Strong background in developing, implementing, evaluating and reporting on programs and services.
Applications will be accepted until 11:59pm Friday 31 January 2020.
Wyndham City considers Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people are the most qualified persons for this role authorized under the Equal Opportunity Act (Vic) 2010, S12 (1).
About the organisation
A bit about Wyndham
Take a look at our job opportunities and you may be surprised at what you discover: a future-focused culture, a sense of purpose and possibility, and real opportunities to strengthen our diverse community. It all adds up to make Wyndham a great place to work.
Our people are our most valued asset. We are focused on building a culture that empowers every person to do their best work. Flexibility is built right into our DNA and we are committed to cultivating an inclusive workplace that celebrates a diverse workforce. Ask us how this role can be worked.
So, are you ready to shape new possibilities?
How to apply for this role
If you think this role might be for you, we want to hear from you. Please apply by following the link
and sending us a cover letter and your resume. We do not require any selection criteria to be addressed.
Please quote in application: Youth Development Officer (Indigenous Portfolio) via Pro Bono Australia.