About the role
- Be part of an organisation that makes a difference
- Drive our media presence among target national and regional audiences
- Location: Sydney CBD
The Smith Family is a national, independent children’s not-for-profit helping disadvantaged Australians to get the most out of their education, so they can create better futures for themselves. We are currently seeking an energetic and resourceful Media Advisor to join our growing Communications team.
Reporting to the National Media Manager, you will be part of a high-performing team working to achieve coverage of The Smith Family in key media outlets and online channels. You will work closely with relevant General Managers and key team members nationally to develop media strategies that support The Smith Family activities.
Your key responsibilities include:
- Development of media strategies to promote The Smith Family’s key activities at a state, regional and local level eg. fundraising appeals, research reports, events, program activities, corporate partnerships.
- Write media releases, alerts, pitches, case studies, articles, speeches and talking points.
- Work closely with key team members in states and territories to identify newsworthy stories and ensure the availability of students/families and support for media engagement.
- Support corporate and government partners through joint PR and media activities.
- Work with the social media team (Communications and Digital) to develop content ideas and support channel management (eg TSF website, Twitter and LinkedIn).
- Monitor and report on media coverage as relevant to your target audiences
With at least 5 years’ experience in media relations and journalism, your track record of achieving significant media coverage and effectively managing brand reputation will help boost The Smith Family media presence across the country. You will hold a tertiary qualification in Journalism/PR/Communications or equivalent. You’ll be able to spot a strong news angle and know how to pitch to journalists. Your excellent communication skills will quickly lead you to form strong relationships with a range of stakeholders, and you’ll have a thorough understanding of the Australian media and digital landscape. You’ll pay attention to detail and know how to measure and track media coverage to optimise performance. You thrive on being part of a team to deliver results, while also having the drive to work autonomously. Most of all, you care about using your skills to help some of the most disadvantaged children and families in Australia.
Closing date: Monday, 2 March 2020
Due to the nature of this role, the successful candidate must be prepared to undertake a National Police Check and a Working with Children’s Check. We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to principles of cultural diversity. Applications from people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent are encouraged.
About the organisation
How to apply for this role
If you are passionate about what you do, committed to make a difference and this sounds like your next role, we’d love to hear from you. Please contact us today by sending your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org . You may view the position description at The Smith Family Website.
Please quote in application: Media Advisor via Pro Bono Australia.