About the role
You are an organised leader who loves talking to people and have the exceptional ability to not only listen but to hear others.
You have great negotiation skills, thrive on a challenge and are driven to change what is, into what should be. You have a positive outlook in every situation, are passionate about human rights and always back an underdog.
The stuff you need to know
We are seeking a Policy and Advocacy Team Leader whose primary purpose is to lead the Policy and Advocacy Team to cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples.
You will have an inclusive and empowering leadership approach, understand the challenges in both policy and advocacy of people who are blind or vision impaired and do what you can, where you are, with what you have.
Role and responsibilities
- To lead and oversee BCA’s policy and advocacy work.
- Provide day-to-day direction to policy and advocacy staff.
- To lead strategic projects and campaigns which improve the quality of life of Australians who are blind or vision impaired.
- To provide strategic representation for BCA at a national level.
- Work with the General Manager – Operations, to develop a program of policy and advocacy work for the organisation which is informed by recommendations of the board and National Policy Council.
- Develop clear processes to underpin BCA’s policy and advocacy work.
- Monitor trends and themes from individual advocacy cases, and issues relevant to the sector, in furthering policy and campaign work.
- Monitor the work of the National Policy Council and provide development opportunities as required.
- Provide national representation for BCA on committees and forums as agreed with the General Manager – Operations.
- Provide guidance to policy and advocacy staff and committee members in relation to their representation responsibilities.
- Lead the provision of feedback on relevant reviews, discussion papers and consultations, which reflects the experiences of Blind Citizens Australia members.
Key Selection Criteria
- Highly developed written and oral communication skills.
- Management experience, with demonstrated ability to provide day-to-day direction to a team that works across multiple locations.
- Demonstrated experience of individual and systemic advocacy.
- Strong knowledge of policy development and implementation.
- Ability to work closely with and relate strongly to people who are blind or vision-impaired.
- Ability to work with people in a small team across multiple locations with a unity of purpose and support for all team members.
- This is a 12-month contract with the possibility of extension.
- The position has a national focus. The successful applicant can take advantage of flexible remote working arrangements, from either an office space in Melbourne or Sydney, or from home.
- Full Time Role of 38 hours per week (some weekend and evening work will be required).
- Salary is under the SCHADS Award. Superannuation contributions and salary packaging are available.
- It is a requirement that all BCA staff hold a current police check.
About the organisation
Blind Citizens Australia, (BCA) is the national representative organisation of people who are blind or vision impaired. Our mission is to inform, connect and empower Australians who are blind or vision impaired and the broader community.
We are a small but geographically diverse team working closely to achieve our mission. We thrive on communication, innovation, collaboration and making a difference in the lives of our members. We enjoy supporting each other, making things happen and offer a diverse working experience.
Due to an organisational restructure, BCA has created a new General Manager – Operations position. This has resulted in the Policy and Advocacy Team Leader position being advertised.
How to apply for this role
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Policy and Advocacy Team Leader via Pro Bono Australia.