About the role
Homeless Law is our specialist legal service for people experiencing or at risk of homelessness. We work closely with pro bono lawyers to provide hundreds of people with legal representation, advice and information. Our services are outreach based and client centred, and we don’t just focus on legal issues. Homeless Law’s social workers and our relationships with the homelessness sector build our capacity to holistically understand and respond to clients with a range of non-legal needs.
The Senior Lawyer, Homeless Law will play a key leadership role in delivering holistic and integrated legal services for people experiencing or at risk of homelessness.
- Manage Homeless Law’s casework, including by delivering high-quality legal advice and representation to Homeless Law clients.
- Supervise, mentor and offer legal guidance to in-house and pro bono lawyers, secondees and practical legal trainees.
- Identify and pursue strategic litigation opportunities that further the aims and objectives of Justice Connect and Homeless Law.
- Undertake systemic policy work, including contributing to submissions on areas of law or policy related to Homeless Law’s clients and advocacy priorities.
- Actively participate in the promotion of Homeless Law activities, including representing Homeless Law in a range of public forums, the media and by contributing to internal and external publications.
- Develop and maintain collaborative relationships with key stakeholders of Homeless Law, in particular participating Justice Connect member law firms and community host agencies.
- Coordinate the development and delivery of training programs for pro bono lawyers, caseworkers and clients in relevant areas of law and practical legal skills.
- Coordinate the preparation and revision of plain English web-based resources for lawyers and advocates.
- Actively contribute to Homeless Law’s legal practice management and risk escalation.
- Help with the governance, reporting and evaluation requirements of Homeless Law, including reports for the Justice Connect Board and external funders.
- Assist with Justice Connect’s organisation-wide projects and processes as necessary, including undertaking quality assurance measures and legal process improvement work.
- Perform other duties as directed and necessary to the proper performance of the role.
Key Selection Criteria:
- Please view the attached PDF for information regarding the key selection criteria.
About the organisation
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join one of Australia’s most successful public interest and social justice organisations. Justice Connect is a not-for-profit organisation with a vision of a fair and strong community in which people have a fair chance at a better life, the community sector is strong and vibrant and the legal/justice and non-legal social systems are fairer and better.
At Justice Connect, we believe everyone deserves a fair chance at a better life. Too often, our legal system is complicated, expensive and inaccessible. And when the system doesn’t work for everyone, it works for no one. It holds our community back. That’s why we use the law to help people and community groups left behind by an unfair and complicated legal system. Whether it’s a single mother facing homelessness, a local community group struggling with overwhelming regulation or an older person dealing with family violence, real-life problems so often have legal solutions. That’s why we connect people with legal help. We use the power of the law to open up the legal system for those locked out of it, and to change the system where it is broken.
The key to our impact is the passionate commitment of our people. We hold ourselves to the highest standards, driven by a desire to deliver real improvements in the lives of the people and communities we help.
How to apply for this role
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Senior Lawyer, Homeless Law via Pro Bono Australia.