About the role
Are you interested in making a difference to the lives of disadvantaged, vulnerable or homeless individuals? Do you want to contribute to current efforts towards building a more sustainable future?
DonateDirect is seeking two (2) board members to join our governing board with a strong interest in social welfare as well as sustainability and conservation of our environment.
About the role:
The role of board members of DonateDirect is to oversee the governance, strategic direction, and its financial, legal, marketing, and IT operations. This includes:
- Commitment to the ongoing success of DonateDirect, including ensuring it remains a viable and effective organisation;
- Interest in improving the lives of disadvantaged and vulnerable individuals;
- Ability to provide leadership towards DonateDirect’s organisational purpose, strategic direction, and priorities; and
- Have an understanding of financial and legal accountability as well as the employment of volunteers.
DonateDirect board members are appointed for 2 years and meetings are held every 2-3 months.
The ideal board member candidate will have:
- strong interest in social welfare and/or sustainability and conservation of our environment;
- ability to commit to attend (by phone or in person) regular meetings every 2-3 months;
- previous board member or experience in other not-for profit organisations;
- qualifications or experience in one of more of the following areas – IT, finance/accounting, marketing, welfare/social services and/or legal profession;
About the organisation
Our purpose is to improve the efficiency of charitable giving through a platform that allows the donation of pre-loved items directly to people in need thereby reducing the burden of waste on our environment.
DonateDirect is a not-for-profit provider of essential household items to financially disadvantaged, homeless, or vulnerable individuals. These items range from large furniture items (eg., lounge suites, beds, etc), to electrical items, white goods, and smaller items such as linen.
Support workers from a diverse range of charities and community service providers (eg., social workers, mental health case workers, etc) utilise our service to obtain items on behalf of homeless, financially disadvantaged or vulnerable individuals.
How DonateDirect works:
DonateDirect relies on a web-based platform that acts as a matching service, connecting those who have with those who need. Using our integrated website, members of the public list good quality items for donation, with the aim of having their items go directly to someone in need - allowing them to DonateDirect. At the same time, charities and community service providers (our community partners) list what their clients need. Matches, or "links", are created between what's needed with what's being donated. Our community partners are then put in touch with their designated donor to allow transfer of the donation to the person in need.
DonateDirect is registered as a company limited by guarantee. It is a registered charity with the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission (ACNC) and has Deductible Gift Recipient (DGR) status.
How to apply for this role
To apply for a voluntary board member position with DonateDirect
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org by March 31st 2019 and include:
- Covering letter explaining your reasons for applying, and your potential contribution to DonateDirect.
All applications will be treated confidentially, and we look forward to hearing from you.
Please quote in application: Volunteer Board Position with DonateDirect via Pro Bono Australia.