About the role
International Justice Mission Australia is seeking an experienced and well-connected Chief Advocacy Officer, who will lead IJM Australia’s advocacy and thought leadership in line with IJM’s global and regional strategy to end slavery and protect the poor from violence. This position will build strategy to drive strategic action directed at shifting the Australian government and private industries policies, positions and programs towards strengthened public justice systems that protect the poor from violence. It will specifically lead policy impact in Australia, and support IJM regional APAC programs to combat Forced Labour Trafficking (Thailand, Cambodia, Myanmar and Malaysia), Online Sexual Exploitation of Children (Philippines and Global Hub) and future programs of work to combat Violence Against Women and Children.
For this key leadership role, IJM Australia is seeking a person to be based in Chatswood, Sydney on a full-time basis at 1 FTE.
The Chief Advocacy Officer will:
- Design an advocacy strategy that activates global change agents, including the Australian government, regional institutions, and corporates to embed IJM’s theory of change and policy goals.
- Collaborate with our Marketing & Partnerships team to develop and support strategic and high impact advocacy campaigns and support supporters and stakeholders with effective tools.
- Collaborate with and advise our Director of Partnerships on strategies and policy outcomes that activate corporate partners total value chains and philanthropic CSR investment decisions.
- Support the goals of the IJM Regional OSEC and Forced Labour Hubs to enable demand side (i.e. Australia) advocacy program to deter OSEC and forced labour in supply chains.
- Provide transformative and public thought leadership on IJM’s theory of change at strategic forums, via social and mainstream media
- Show strong leadership skills as well as great collaboration a) within the Executive Team of IJM Australia b) building, vision-setting and managing the IJM Australia’s Advocacy team and c) on the global/regional level
- Lead the drafting of legislative reform and/or policy recommendations
- Secure IJM Australia’s relationship with the Department of Home Affairs and Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade to position IJM Australia to become a recipient of government grants.
Skills, Experience and Attributes
To be successful in this position you will have:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher equivalent combination of experience and/or education
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in leading advocacy and grassroots mobilisation efforts
- Experience in designing and implementing high-impact advocacy campaigns and public affairs content
- Demonstrated ability to build trust and strong working relationships with people of influence within the government sectors
- A demonstrated leadership and networking capacity
- Ability to communicate effectively and respectfully with all levels within the organisation and cross-culturally
- Skilled presenter, writer and public speaker with (a willingness to have) a social media presence
- Ability to travel 20% domestically and internationally
You will also:
- Be innovative
- Have excellent interpersonal skills
- Have excellent strategy and planning skills
- Have a deep conviction regarding biblical justice
About the organisation
IJM is a global organisation that protects the poor from violence throughout the developing world. IJM partners with local authorities to rescue victims, bring criminals to justice, restore survivors and strengthen justice systems. IJM lawyers, investigators, social workers, community activists and other professionals collaborate with local law enforcement to combat slavery, sex trafficking, rape, police brutality, property grabbing and other forms of violence. As an Advancement Office, at IJM Australia we seek to build awareness and raise funds, while working with our local governments, law enforcement and corporations to make changes that curb the demand for the very issues we are working against in the field.
IJM’s vision to 2030 is to rescue millions, protect half a billion and make justice for the poor unstoppable.
IJM is Christian, Professional and Bridge Building. Our Christian value manifests not only in our motivation but in our culture and work environment, including daily devotions, stillness and prayer. Our Professional value is expressed through our desire to do everything with excellence and make a lasting impact. Our Bridge Building value is demonstrated in our methods, which are always through and for relationship as we seek common ground in all that we do. Our brand’s personality is smart, relentless, unafraid and in the trenches. We seek to recruit people with the same attributes and passion.
What we offer:
- An inspiring work environment. Your work makes a difference in the lives of the thousands of clients IJM is serving. You are part of a passionate global team of professionals - characterised by an atmosphere of personal involvement and determination to bring justice, transform communities and end slavery
- Opportunity to professionally develop your skills & attributes in a way that brings deep impact in this world
- Opportunity for spiritual formation
- Salary is determined by our remuneration policy and years of QE
How to apply for this role
Please send a one-page cover letter outlining your suitability for the position including your demonstrated commitment to IJM Australia’s values as detailed above, along with your current CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
IJM Australia is interviewing and recruiting for this position as applications are received, so we encourage you to apply as soon as possible.
Please quote in application: Chief Advocacy Officer via Pro Bono Australia.