About the role
- Full time, ongoing
- Based at Ravenhall Correctional Centre
- Great salary packaging conditions and leave entitlements
- Free onsite parking
Forensicare (the Victorian Institute of Forensic Mental Health) is the leading provider of forensic mental health services across Victoria. We deliver recovery-focused programs to consumers with serious mental illnesses across the Victorian justice system, mental health sector, and the community–from early intervention and prevention, to inpatient care, rehabilitation, and community transition support.
Our services are delivered through:
- Thomas Embling Hospital: a secure mental health hospital
- Prison mental health services throughout Victoria
- Community Forensic Mental Health Service
We also work in partnership with Swinburne University of Technology through the Centre for Forensic Behavioural Science to deliver a forensic mental health research program, specialist training, and ongoing professional education.
Forensicare is the statutory agency responsible for the provision of adult forensic mental health services across Victoria. Completed in 2017, the new medium-security men’s prison is located in Ravenhall Correctional Centre in Melbourne’s west, providing world-class forensic mental health services in Victoria in a purpose-built state of the art facility developed to international best practice standards.
About the role:
The Aboriginal Health and Wellbeing Worker aims to improve the social and emotional wellbeing of Aboriginal patients through effectively engaging them through the Forensic Mental Health Services at Ravenhall Correctional Centre. The position works with other members of the multidisciplinary team to ensure the provision of high quality and culturally sensitive health care for Aboriginal patients.
- Work with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander patients in the Ballerrt Yeram-Boo-ee services fostering trusting and professional relationships that respect worker/patient boundaries.
- Assessment and treatment are individually tailored and takes into account the impact of trauma, including intergenerational trauma on the SEWB of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander patients.
- Work with staff to ensure Aboriginal Liaison Officers and Correct Care Australasia (CCA) Aboriginal Mental Health Workers are informed of the admission of patients who identify as Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander within 24 hours.
- Encourage access to cultural and traditional healing methods, for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander patients engaged in Ballerrt Yeram-Boo-ee services.
- Connect Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander patients with their families and communities.
Skills and experience:
- The incumbent of this position must be Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander.
- This action constitutes a special measure under section 12 of the Equal Opportunity Act 2010 (Vic).
- Demonstrated commitment to mental health Recovery principles and improving social and emotional wellbeing outcomes for Aboriginal people and communities.
- Demonstrated organisational, communication, liaison and interpersonal skills to effectively collaborate with a range of people and work effectively within cross cultural teams.
We value our staff and provide a range of employee benefits including:
Great salary packaging conditions & leave entitlements
- Bonus payment for relevant postgrad qualifications
- Ongoing training and professional development
- Comprehensive Health and Wellbeing Programs including: Staff health service, Critical Incident Stress Management and Employee Assistance Programs.
Forensicare values a diverse workforce and strongly encourages applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
This position is subject to a Police Check.
Forensicare promotes the following values: responsiveness, integrity, impartiality, accountability, respect and leadership; and promotes behaviours that are consistent with these values at all times. Forensicare is an equal opportunity employer and offers a smoke free environment.
About the organisation
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Aboriginal Health & Wellbeing Worker via Pro Bono Australia.