About the role
This role is to:
- Provide independent consultation advice to Child Protection on the best ways of keeping children and young people safe. This advice will include the importance of a strong connection to Aboriginal culture, community and family when making decisions in the best interest of the child
- Manage the day to day operations of locally based ACSASS team including the direct supervision and support of staff
- Report to a Program Manager as well as contribute to a larger state-wide ACSASS team
- Liaise and develop a number of external working relationships with Child Protection, Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal services
- Commitment to VACCA’s vision and purpose
- Awareness and appreciation of Aboriginal societies and cultures and an understanding of the issues affecting Aboriginal people in contemporary Australia and the diversity of circumstances of Aboriginal people
- Be responsible for the implementation and daily operation of a high-quality Regional Lakidjeka ACSASS program
- To manage a caseload, provide backup for staff and to be available to caseworkers by pager/mobile phone at all times except when otherwise negotiated
- To advocate on behalf of Aboriginal children, families, and communities their issues when dealing with Child Protection and the welfare system
- To ensure that statistics are collated, recorded and monitored for the regional Lakidjeka program including quarterly reporting data
- To closely liaise with DHS Regional Offices to establish good working relationships and partnerships
About the organisation
The Victorian Aboriginal Child Care Agency (VACCA) is the largest organization of its kind in Australia. VACCA is an Aboriginal community-controlled organization that supports and advocates for the Aboriginal community. Our strength lies with our people. Our team is committed to the organisation’s vision and values; advocates for our children and other vulnerable community members; and shows respect for, observance and compliance with Aboriginal cultural protocols, practice and ceremony. Our Aboriginality is what distinguishes us from mainstream services and what enables us to deliver the positive outcomes we achieve for our people.
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Team Leader – Lakidjeka via Pro Bono Australia.