About the role
The Star Health Board is currently seeking to appoint up to three dynamic Board Directors. Candidates should be committed to Star Health’s vision, purpose, values and directions and share our passion to see Star Health grow and continue to lead the way in providing health and wellbeing for all.
Star Health is a company limited by guarantee and is governed by ASIC. Directors will sit as full Board members and attend monthly meetings. The Directors will each be one of up to 10 Board members who provide corporate governance to Star Health on behalf of its members and broader community. Please note that Board Directors are not remunerated, however relevant expenses can be reimbursed.
The Star Health Board will have three vacancies as at October 2020. Star Health has transitioned to a skills-based Board, and identified the need to seek new Directors with the following key skills and expertise, in addition to values-alignment:
- Financial performance
- Health service design and delivery – knowledge experience and networks including emerging technologies, health policy, community health and well-being, population health needs assessment and planning, resource allocation and service delivery across mainstream populations and culturally and linguistically diverse and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders peoples.
- Clinical practice and clinical governance – experience (and current registration) as a medical, nursing or allied health practitioner, including the ability to demonstrate clinical leadership and/or clinical network experience; or knowledge and experience in clinical leadership, practice and governance, safety and quality standards of service delivery in general practice and primary health area, and associated performance measurement and reporting.
Star Health is an equal opportunity organisation and encourages people from diverse backgrounds to apply, including those with disabilities, those with lived experience of one or more of our target communities, those who identify as Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander, people who are Culturally and Linguistically Diverse and people from the LGBTI+ community.
About the organisation
Star Health is a leading not-for-profit provider of primary health and community services in the inner south – east of Melbourne and surrounds. Operating from a social model of health, we provide a comprehensive range of holistic, wrap-around services including mental health, GP, dental, allied health, alcohol and other drugs, aged care, homelessness and family violence. In working towards our vision of Health and wellbeing for all, Star Health has a strong focus on social justice, and specialist expertise in engaging, supporting and advocating for our most vulnerable community members including Indigenous people. We engage in community building and health promotion activities to build the health and wellbeing of our local communities. Star Health also delivers the state-wide health promotion and support program to those in the sex industry.
Vision: Health and wellbeing for all
Purpose: We provide coordinated care when and where needed so our consumers can achieve their health and wellbeing goals.
- Inclusiveness – Valuing everyone, embracing diversity and encouraging participation.
- Empowerment – Working with people to build their attributes, capabilities and capacity to manage their lives.
- Equity – Ensuring all achieve equitable health and wellbeing outcomes, regardless of life circumstances and economic status.
- Social Justice and Human Rights – Respecting and promoting the dignity of all individuals and advocating to ensure equality of opportunity to a just and fair life
- Accountability – Making our ways of working open, honest and transparent, and taking responsibility for our actions.
- Learning and Innovating – Consciously learning and innovating to improve our work and achieve our vision.
For more information visit our website: http://www.starhealth.org.au/
How to apply
We welcome applications from community members with your CV listing at least two referees and a cover letter no longer than two pages addressing the following:
- your values alignment
- your skills and experience in governance
- your key skills and expertise against the relevant criteria listed above.
Short-listed candidates will be notified for interviews commencing in August 2020.
Applications should be addressed to Dr Michelle Towstoless by email at: email@example.com using the subject line: Star Health Board Director application.
For further information about the role, please contact Deepa Prabhu, Executive Assistant to the CEO at firstname.lastname@example.org or 03 9066 1586.
Applications must be received by COB Friday 10 July 2020.
*Star Health reserves the right not to fill some or all vacancies.
Please quote in application: Board Director (Voluntary) via Pro Bono Australia.