About the role
- Full time, fixed-term (6 month contract until December 2020) for Social Worker Grade 2
- Based in Ravenhall Correctional Centre
- Great salary packaging conditions and leave entitlements
- Free onsite parking
The social work position is required to complete psychosocial assessments and interventions, as well as educate and consult with members of the multidisciplinary team regarding social and systemic issues, advocating for patients’ rights and entitlements. The position utilises social work models to intervene in family systems in order to bring about therapeutic change and applies social work approaches to fostering relationships with relevant agencies and team members. The position is based on Tambo unit, being a 10-bed psychosocial rehabilitation unit for men with mental illness preparing for release into the community.
- Formulate and document client focused care coordination plans, with emphasis on more complex management issues.
- Act as key clinician for a small number of patients on the unit, which includes coordinating multidisciplinary input into patients care and supporting the patient in developing their mental health recovery plan.
- Demonstrate skills in the appropriate assessment of patient discharge/release needs and matching these with relevant services for the effective preparation and ongoing support of patients re-entering the community.
- Demonstrate knowledge of psychiatric assessment within the position’s field of practice.
Skills and experience:
- Sound knowledge of available community services and resources and demonstrated ability to broker and link patients to these services, particularly in the provision of relevant services upon re-entry to the community.
- Experience of working within a correctional/secure environment or within mental health.
- Ability to undertake comprehensive social work assessments and to plan, implement and evaluate social work interventions for mentally ill people within a complex service environment.
- Well developed skills and abilities in individual, group and family work.
Mandatory qualifications & registrations:
- Approved degree in Social Work and eligibility for membership of the Australian Association of Social Workers.
We value our staff and provide a range of employee benefits including:
- Great salary packaging conditions & leave entitlements
- Bonus payment for relevant postgrad qualifications <clinical only>
- Ongoing training and professional development
- Comprehensive Health and Wellbeing Programs including: Staff health service, Critical Incident Stress Management and Employee Assistance Programs.
Forensicare values a diverse workforce and strongly encourages applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
This position is subject to a Police Check.
Forensicare promotes the following values: responsiveness, integrity, impartiality, accountability, respect and leadership; and promotes behaviours that are consistent with these values at all times. Forensicare is an equal opportunity employer and offers a smoke free environment.
About the organisation
Forensicare (the Victorian Institute of Forensic Mental Health) is the leading provider of forensic mental health services across Victoria. We deliver recovery-focused programs to consumers with serious mental illnesses across the Victorian justice system, mental health sector, and the community–from early intervention and prevention, to inpatient care, rehabilitation, and community transition support.
Our services are delivered through:
- Thomas Embling Hospital: a secure mental health hospital
- Prison mental health services throughout Victoria
- Community Forensic Mental Health Service
We also work in partnership with Swinburne University of Technology through the Centre for Forensic Behavioural Science to deliver a forensic mental health research program, specialist training, and ongoing professional education.
Forensicare is the statutory agency responsible for the provision of adult forensic mental health services across Victoria. Completed in 2017, the new medium-security men’s prison is located in Ravenhall Correctional Centre in Melbourne’s west, providing world-class forensic mental health services in Victoria in a purpose-built state of the art facility developed to international best practice standards.
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Social Worker Grade 2 (Ravenhall Correctional Centre) via Pro Bono Australia.