About the role
Treasurer – WIRE Board of Management
WIRE is seeking an accounting professional (CA or CPA qualified) with relevant commercial experience to fulfil a volunteer position as Treasurer on the WIRE Board of Management. The Treasurer leads the Finance, Audit and Risk sub-committee and works closely with the CEO and Finance and Business Operations Manager to ensure that WIRE operates in a responsible and financially sustainable framework.
Purpose of the role
The purpose of the Treasurer is to:
- oversee the budgeting and financial reporting processes of WIRE
- maintains a sustainable financial framework that is flexible in responding to unforeseen events, ensuring that WIRE remains solvent
- ensure that policies and plans are in place to provide for the long-term viability of the organisation
- be the link between the Finance, Audit and Risk sub-committee and the WIRE Board of Management.
Role and responsibilities
- In partnership with the CEO and Finance and Business Operations Manager develop a projected budget each financial year for approval by the Board.
- Review income and expenditure against the budget on a continuous basis.
- Report to the Board and the CEO at each meeting on the financial situation of the organisation
- Report to the Board and the CEO quarterly, or as significant circumstances arise, on variances from the approved budget
- With the Chair and the CEO, place any necessary financial items on the Board agenda in advance of the meeting
- Report to the Annual General Meeting on the financial situation of the organisation
- Ensure an appropriately qualified Auditor is appointed annually according to WIRE’s constitution, oversee the year-end audit process and approve financial statements
- Ensure the organisation’s financial control procedures are adequate and that appropriate safeguards against fraud are in place
- Oversee the maintenance of the risk register and ensure that financial risk management strategies (including appropriate insurances) are in place
- Oversee the organisation’s investment strategy and report to the Board
- Ensure the organisation’s compliance with all applicable tax arrangements
- CA or CPA qualification
- Previous board experience preferred, but not essential
- Demonstrated experience in a commercial role as an accountant, finance manager or auditor
- Demonstrated ability to communicate financial information to a wide audience, including those without a financial background
- Demonstrates care and diligence
- Demonstrated interest in the outcomes of WIRE’s work for women, non-binary and gender diverse people.
- The capacity to dedicate the necessary time to achieve the required outcomes of the role (up to 12-15 hours per month with the flexibility to increase this time in order to commit to various activities relating to the role of Treasurer).
- The ability to communicate and engage effectively with diverse stakeholders.
About the organisation
WIRE is a not for profit organisation in Victoria providing a State-wide free generalist information, support and referral service to women, non-binary and gender diverse people. WIRE’s deep understanding of intersectional practice informs support, information referral, research, advocacy, project work and programs. For further information about WIRE, refer to WIRE’s website: https://www.wire.org.au/about/vision/
WIRE strives to create a Board of Governance which reflects the intersectional diversity of women, non-binary and gender diverse people in the Victorian community. Women, gender diverse and non-binary people, Aboriginal Victorians, people with a disability, people from culturally and linguistic diverse backgrounds and LGBTQ+ people are encouraged to apply.
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Treasurer - WIRE Board of Management via Pro Bono Australia.