About the role
- Location: Preston
- Position: Full-time
- Salary : $110,000 to $120,000 (based on skills and experience)
This new role at VACCA has been created in recognition of the vital importance of education for the children and young people in all VACCA’s services. This position will be the focal point at VACCA for education practice, policy and advocacy, providing support and guidance for VACCA staff and
leadership. The Senior Advisor will build the capacity of VACCA to address the educational needs of our children and will champion their rights to the best possible education. The role focuses on learning for Aboriginal children and young people at VACCA from birth to 25 including early childhood, primary &
secondary school, and further education.
To be considered for this role you must demonstrate:
- Proven experience and ability to provide leadership and advocacy in relation to educational issues and programs, with a focus on vulnerable Aboriginal children, young people and families/carers
- Demonstrated ability to identify practice issues relating to education and develop strategies for change
- Capacity to understand and address the impact of trauma on the cognitive, social and emotional development of Aboriginal children & young people
- Awareness of the breadth of available educational settings & programs in Victoria and their responsiveness to the needs of Aboriginal learners
- Demonstrated commitment to working collaboratively, with proven capacity to negotiate and liaise with the Department of Education & Training, Aboriginal services, and other mainstream agencies
- A tertiary level qualification in education, with a focus on teaching, educational psychology or education policy is preferred
- Significant experience working in education environments and the Aboriginal sector is desirable
Application closes by Sunday, July 19, 2020
About the organisation
The Victorian Aboriginal Child Care Agency (VACCA) is the largest organization of its kind in Australia. VACCA is an Aboriginal communitycontrolled organization that supports and advocates for the Aboriginal community. Our strength lies with our people. Our team is committed to the organisation's vision and values; advocates for our children and other vulnerable community members; and shows respect for, observance and compliance with Aboriginal cultural protocols, practice and ceremony. Our Aboriginality is what distinguishes us from mainstream services and what enables us to deliver the positive outcomes we achieve for our people.
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Senior Education Advisor via Pro Bono Australia.