About the role
About the role
YLab is a social enterprise that was founded by FYA in 2016. YLab offers consulting and co-design services to organisations who are looking for better ways to design systems and services for young people. To do this YLab employs over 80 young people across Australia with diverse lived and technical experiences to work on projects. YLab solves problems in employment, policy and decision making, health and wellbeing and First Nations issues, all by putting young people at the centre.
This newly developed role will lead the development and implementation of YLab’s key operational systems and strategies. Reporting to the Executive Director of YLab this role will play a significant role in identifying business development opportunities.
Project design and delivery and client management
- Structure and lead YLab teams to deliver outstanding client work on time and in budget.
- Coach team members to develop their skills, capabilities and knowledge as well as ensuring they draw on their relevant lived experience.
- Use best practice co-design and consulting methods to deliver high impact work and outcomes.
- Identify business development opportunities, as well as build and maintain strong client relationships aligned with our impact and income goals.
- Partner with the Executive Director YLab in essential internal leadership activities (human resources, finance, risk, administration, and planning).
- Manage information technology and human resources (recruiting, reviews, staff deployment, career progression) with related internal communications and finance duties in collaboration with FYA Business Services teams.
- Identify best practices and improve internal systems with an eye toward future needs and budget realities.
- At least 7 years experience in a senior role within a consulting or co-design, client-facing environment.
- Experience successfully leading business development activities including conducting research and writing proposals.
- Demonstrated experience in social-impact, non-profit or other social change related industries.
- Extensive experience leading highly-effective and diverse teams at an executive level.
- Strong proficiency in developing and managing budgets, reviewing and improving processes and systems.
- Demonstrated hands-on experience in roles executing multiple tasks while responding to multiple priorities.
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice, especially to gender, race, class, generational and other justice dimensions of philanthropy.
- Ability to critically engage with issues of power and privilege inherent in the space.
- Experience working with young people with diverse lived experiences.
About the organisation
About the Foundation for Young Australians
At the Foundation for Young Australians (FYA), our vision is that young people have the power to beat injustice and transform the future. In pursuit of this vision, our purpose is to back young people with the trust, resources, skills, and connections to make change.
FYA has an incredible history, new CEO, focused strategy, dynamic team and board, and a unique resource base. We are now shaping a future-focused organisation committed to the highest standards of professionalism, culture and conditions, diversity, and impact - all centered around our key constituents: young people.
Our work is guided by a commitment to beating injustice. We strongly encourage applications from people with successful track records advocating for justice as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people, people of colour, women, people with disability, LGBTIQA+ communities and migrants to Australia. We acknowledge our sector has systematically excluded these communities and are committed to changing this.
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Deputy Executive Director, YLab via Pro Bono Australia.